Detailed Job Description
The Health Career Pathway Program Coordinator will report directly to the Assistant Dean, Health Career Pathways, and will function as an integral part of the Office of Medical School Admissions. The Program Coordinator will assist and have direct responsibility for program activities with the establishment of educational partnerships, identification and recruitment of promising students in grades 3-12 through undergraduate college, planning and implementation of academic enrichment activities including curriculum development, coordination of shadowing and health related community service opportunities to prepare youth for entry into and successful completion of health professional training programs and program evaluation.
Quinnipiac University is a thriving private university with 6,500 undergraduate and 2,300 graduate students, located in Hamden, Connecticut, approximately 90 minutes from New York City and two hours from Boston. Consistently ranked among the best universities by U.S. News & World Report and recently named one of the 2013 Great Colleges to Work For by The Chronicle of Higher Education, Quinnipiac offers 58 undergraduate majors and 20 graduate and professional programs, including those leading to degrees in both law and medicine. At the core of Quinnipiac is its commitment to teaching and collaboration. Quinnipiac fosters partnerships among students and with faculty; it is a spirited, welcoming campus.
- Develop new programs and learning opportunities for pre-college students that support college readiness and career preparedness.
- Ensure existing programs remain relevant and viable, delivering high quality transformational learning experiences.
- Innovate in program design, curriculum and outreach materials that support college readiness and career preparation across a variety of health career fields and disciplines.
- Create age-appropriate programs and materials that reflect current best practices in pedagogy and align to local, state and Federal learning standards as appropriate.
- Develop program assessment that inform revisions and maximize program impact.
- Deliver instruction/presentations directly to pre-college and college students and professional development for educators, parents and community-based organizations.
- Work across a matrix of logistics, schools, community members, Quinnipiac University faculty, staff, students, policies and procedures to deliver high-quality education experiences on and off campus.
- Assist with the management of an ambitious, diverse portfolio of educational programs and services that support Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine mission and commitment to diversity.
- Recruit student participants for the various pipeline programs for the Health Career Pathways Programs.
- Serve as the first point of contact and resource specialist to provide information and assistance regarding services, college readiness and career preparedness resources for pre-college students, educators and community members.
- Work closely with the Office of Medical School Admissions to organize and conduct pre-college visit and activity requests.
- Recruit and engage Quinnipiac University faculty, staff, students, educators, and clinical partners to develop new and enhance existing pre-college programming.
- Assist in the enhancement and implementation of operational and programmatic goals and objectives for the Health Career Pathways Program.
- Serve on committees for the School of Medicine and University as designated or appropriate.
- Maintain appropriate records for program evaluation and reporting purposes.
- Keeps up-to-date with advances in technology and social media in order to maintain contact with student participants.
- Contribute to a work environment that encourages and promotes knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures and backgrounds.
- Produce and distribute quarterly newsletter.
- Serve as a chaperone for participants on various trips and activities.
- Assist with grant writing when applicable.
- Assist the assistant dean for the health career pathways program with other activities including some basic clerical functions.
- Complete other duties as assigned by the assistant dean for the health career pathways program.
This position is available to start January 2015.
Qualifications & Special Instructions to Applicants
- Bachelor’s degree and two years of experience in educational outreach, program development or similar field or equivalent education/experience.
- Demonstrated excellence in public speaking, written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with students from diverse ethnic, cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Ability to interpret complex and detailed educational documents.
- Proven ability to work independently and as a part of a team.
- Ability to work on and off-site and to work a flexible schedule, with some weekend and evening work and some travel required.
- Demonstrated strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple projects of different scales.
- Ability to problem-solve, meet deadlines, prioritize work, interpret and apply rules, policies and procedures.
- Proficiency in performing complex functions using MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and social media.
Desired Qualifications include:
- Master’s Degree.
- Demonstrated ability to create engaging curricula for a wide range of ages and settings.
- Experience and knowledge of formal and informal education theory and practice.
- Experience and knowledge of evaluation and assessment methodologies.
- Experience writing grants from a variety of funding sources.
All applications must be submitted through our online application system. Applications materials should include a resume and a thoughtful cover letter describing your interest in, and qualifications for, the position. Contact information for three references must be submitted on the application form.
Quinnipiac University has a strong commitment to the principles and practices of diversity throughout the University community. We welcome candidates who would enhance that diversity. Quinnipiac offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefit program.
Job Code: 2014-1553