Detailed Job Description
Manager is responsible for coordinating and supervising all activity for payroll staff and functions. In this role will serve as chief liaison on payroll matters to internal university staff as well as external entities including but not limited to Commonwealth Comptroller and Payroll, DHE and other State or grant-related agencies. Will also play an important role in position management, control and reporting on status and full utilization of all payroll and fringe benefit expenditures and their related budgets and/or appropriations.
- Supervise the day-to-day operation of payroll including all workflow, staff responsibilities, scheduling, disbursements, issue resolution, report generation, and validating and reconciling payroll data to auditing, accounting and payroll specifications.
- Serve as the chief Commonwealth liaison for university on all payroll related matters. Attend meetings with senior staff and provide insight to Commonwealth on policies and procedures as they relate to university payroll
- With the payroll team, provide leadership and expertise on any and all payroll system elements of HRCMS and other Commonwealth systems as well as implementation and coordination of same to university's financial and other personnel/payroll related applications or processes
- Labor and Position Control responsibilities: Reconciles payroll for monthly close and year-end and compares payroll expense to budgeted expenditures; Works with payroll and budget staff to identify payroll shifts from State to local funds (and vice versa) to optimize use of State funds and minimize tuition remission; Assist in development, maintenance and improvements to a position tracking mechanism to project salary levels as part of budget monitoring function
- With payroll staff, maintain proficiency in use of all Commonwealth applications and utilities as they relate to payroll system including but not limited to HRCMS, LCM, DocDirect, Information Warehouse, SSTA and other applications as developed and released by the Commonwealth
- Oversees schedules, reconciliations and analyses for payroll accruals, payroll and fringe benefit expenditures, variations in payroll expense from year-to-year and other payroll related analysis associated with annual audits (i.e. financial and A-133) and/or special reports
- Oversee and recommend staff training and development related to Commonwealth and university system, policies and procedures
- Recommends establishment and manages adherence to weekly, monthly and annual payroll schedules and deadlines as established by Commonwealth and university
- Assist in evaluation, development, documentation and implementation of all applicable payroll related policies and procedures
- Provide payroll data and reconciliations for any/all external granting agencies as prescribed by granting agency requirements
- Hire, train and supervise appropriate personnel as necessary
- Serves on various standing and ad hoc committees and perform other duties and functions as assigned
- Internal Control - reviews, monitors and implements internal controls and sound business principles in all our financial or business processes
- Customer Service - with payroll staff, fosters and develops an environment of quality customer service whether those customers are internal or external to the university
- Staff Development - mentors staff to maximize support for professional development in their related skill sets and seeks opportunities to expand their job knowledge and service to the community
- Documentation - ensures that all new or revised business processes are properly and clearly documented, stored and updated consistently.
- Business Improvement - works with payroll staff to provide leadership in recommending, developing and implementing business systems and process improvements
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or related field
- At least five years related experience preferably in higher education
- Two years of supervisory or management experience
- Extensive financial system expertise dealing with data extraction, data processing and query or report development
- Proficiency in MS Office (strong expertise in Excel preferred)
- In depth knowledge of state and federal payroll regulations (including but not limited to College Work Study employment and payroll)
- Experience serving as a key staff member in a complex organization
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience in higher education institution or state agency
- Experience in Mass. payroll system and/or Mass. public higher education payroll administration strongly preferred
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please apply online and attach resume and cover letter.
Employment is contingent upon a completed background check satisfactory to the University. Internal candidates are not subject to background check.
Salem State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Persons of color, women and persons with disabilities are strongly urged to apply.
Please Note: If there is no application deadline associated with a position, it may come down at any time. Once a posting is removed, additional applications will not be accepted.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/jp4tph4