Unfortunately, this job is expired as of 3/26/2015.
To continue in your search through the appropriate job categories, click either Administrative Staff, Higher Education Executives, Faculty, Post-Doc and Graduate Assistants, . You can also utilize "guess-free" keyword search tools with up to eight pre-defined criteria. Search for and Apply to academic postings directly from the site. Post your background either confidentially or overtly. Stand out and be discovered!
The successful candidate will teach digital media arts at the undergraduate level. In addition, the candidate will oversee the digital media program area, which includes curriculum development, facilities management, coordination of instructors, and scheduling concerns. The candidate will also teach as part of the wider graduate studio faculty in the department. Importantly, the candidate will conduct a program of creative research and production that can build towards tenure. Other responsibilities include: participation in departmental duties such as student advising and mentorship; program assessment and management; service to departmental, college and university committees; and participation in community outreach and program recruitment.
The Department of Art and Art History at The University of Alabama invites applications for a full-time, nine-month position for a tenure-track Assistant Professor of Art in Digital Media, beginning fall semester, 2015.
We invite applications from candidates from diverse backgrounds who have a strong commitment to teaching excellence, creative activity and scholarship, and university and community service.
The successful candidate will play a central role in developing curriculum for a rapidly evolving and diversified media area that includes courses in digital arts and graphic design. The candidate’s primary creative engagement should be within digital media, with particular emphasis in areas such as 2-D digital art, multimedia, installation, time-based media, digital video, interactive platforms, mobile applications and social computing. An established exhibition record that demonstrates a high level of professional engagement with contemporary practice is essential. The applicant should be well versed in the theory of digital/new media pertaining to contemporary practice. The candidate should be committed to all levels of teaching from introductory to graduate practice.
• Master of Fine Arts degree in digital media or related field
• Minimum two years of university or college-level teaching experience beyond graduate student teaching
• Evidence of active exhibition record and scholarship.
• Demonstrated excellence and recognition of dynamic ongoing creative research that can build towards tenure.
• Evidence of success in college/university teaching in the areas of Digital Media or New Media.
Step 1 – Candidates for this position must visit The University of Alabama website at http://facultyjobs.ua.edu to initiate an application and upload the following materials:
1. Cover letter addressing qualifications
2. Curriculum vitae / resumé
3. Teaching philosophy that addresses both your personal teaching approaches to digital media, as well as briefly outlines your vision for a contemporary digital media program
4. Artist statement (upload to Research/Scholarship/Creative Activities Statement tab)
5. Contact information for three professional references (upload to other document 1 tab)
6. Image list for all professional work examples indicating size, date and media (upload to other document 2 tab)
7. Two sample syllabi:
(1) introductory-level digital media course and (upload to other document 3 tab)
(1) upper-level course of your choice (upload to other document 4 tab)
Step 2 – In addition, applicants should send the following directly to the Department of Art and Art History.
1. A folder containing 20 digital examples of professional work
2. A folder containing 20 digital examples of student work
3. Links to pertinent websites are also welcome, but should be included in addition to above
Digital images and/or time-based examples should be submitted in a compressed file format not to exceed 5 MB. Clips should not exceed 1 minute in length. Submitted files should be in a universal, multi-platform file format, not requiring specialized software or conversions to view.
Only fully completed applications will be reviewed.
Digital Media Search Committee
The University of Alabama Department of Art and Art History
103 Garland Hall Box #870270
Review of applications will begin January 6, 2015, and continue until the position is filled.
Prior to hiring, the final candidate(s) must successfully pass a pre-employment background investigation. A prior conviction reported as a result of the background investigation DOES NOT automatically disqualify a candidate from consideration for this position. A candidate with a prior conviction will receive an individualized review of the prior conviction before a hiring decision is made. EOE/AA
The University of Alabama is an Equal Employment/Equal Educational Opportunity Institution. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status, and will not be discriminated against because of their protected status.
You were inactive for over twenty minutes. To protect you, we have logged you out. Any unsaved data has been lost.