Detailed Job Description
Under the direction of the Department Chair of English and Literature, the Assistant Professor will teach English methods, adolescent literature, first-year composition, and/or other related courses, subject to department need and candidate expertise. The assignment also includes supervising student teachers. The standard teaching load is 4/4; course load reductions are given for assigned student teaching supervision.
The department strongly prefers candidates with an Ed. D. or Ph. D. in English or related educational field and a minimum of five years' experience teaching secondary English.
Other preferred credentials include a current teaching license and a familiarity with Utah's educational culture.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
1) Advanced skills in teaching and assessing reading and literature;
2) Fundamental knowledge of methods of teaching all secondary English courses;
3) Strong ability to supervise and strengthen student teachers;
4) Knowledge of current secondary education theory, methodology, and best practices;
5) Familiarity with the Common Core State Standards.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- To be considered an applicant for employment you must apply online through the UVU.Jobs website.
- To receive full consideration for post-secondary education, please submit copies of transcripts or diploma of highest degree earned. Transcripts do not have to be official copies.
- To be considered in the first screening, the online application and required application documents (see below) must be submitted by the screening or closing date.
- Our system can only accept supplemental documents (such as cover letters or transcripts) in PDF or Word format. The file size of documents must be less than 2MB. It is strongly recommended that you take documents that are not in an electronic form and scan them into a separate black and white PDF file so you can attach them electronically to the online application. You can get help with this at a local copy center if needed.
- Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the results of a background check, which includes a credentials check, an employment check, and criminal records check. A criminal conviction is not necessarily a bar to employment.
- Application materials become the property of UVU.
- For questions contact Human Resources at HREmployment@uvu.edu.