Detailed Job Description
Position manages, plans, organizes and controls daily operations for a Custodial operation on a large university campus. Operations include custodial maintenance, minor repair maintenance (re-lamping, carpet repair, equipment repair, dispenser installations) unlocking and securing buildings. Work consists of custodial maintenance performed to a uniform standard, consistent with protocols and schedule trends, in a manner that results in the greatest efficiency, effectiveness and customer service. Maintains effective working relationships with Operations Managers in other sections of Physical Facilities to coordinate overall University facilities management. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Leadership-Management-Relationship with Superiors: provides direction, focus, guidance, support, prioritization and oversight for supervisory staff and work force; implements new and/or enforces existing programs, policies, processes and procedures that result in high levels of efficiency, performance, and effectiveness; keep superior
informed; be responsive to directives from superiors; support the unit, departmental, and institutional goals
2. Daily Management: directs routine custodial maintenance and operations for large in-house custodial staff, including establishment of work priority and organizational structure; manage work in progress and inspect work to ensure quality control.
3. Technical Support and Guidance: provides supervisors and staff with technical support and guidance relative to custodial maintenance operations.
4. Contractor Oversight: performs contract administration and recommends hiring of outside contractors.
5. Long-Range Planning: provides building cleanliness assessments and long-range planning for custodial needs, including determination of priority.
6. Custodial Maintenance Function: develops programs and operational practices and policies for an effective and efficient preventive maintenance, repair maintenance, and predictive maintenance programs; coordinate efforts with other organizational units.
7. Record Keeping Function: develops policies and work practices that result in accurate and timely tracking of work requests, PM efforts, labor and material costs; develops/prepares periodic reports detailing performance of the business unit.
8. Personnel Function: enforces work rules; holds subordinates accountable for effectiveness and efficiency; screens job applicants; makes hiring recommendations; participates in administration of discipline.
9. Implement Technology: responsible for the application of technology to the operation, such as equipment to provide quality or efficiency improvements with the delivery of services.
1. Education/Experience - Bachelor's degree in a related field plus a minimum of 3 years full-time experience in managing a medium or large sized work staff or facility OR; related associate's degree plus a minimum of 5 years full-time experience in facilities management/custodial maintenance; OR a minimum of 10 years full-time verifiable experience in custodial maintenance or management of entrance level employees.
2. Knowledge of Custodial Function - thorough knowledge of methods associated with maintenance, repair, and operation of all elements noted above; thorough knowledge of safety regulations, safe work practices and industry best practices.
3. Technical Understanding - ability to read, interpret, and understand drawings, specifications, and other technical data.
4. Attention to Detail - ability to maintain detailed and complete records of maintenance and repair activities.
5. Communication Skills - ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, to a wide range of persons.
6. Customer Service Skills - thorough understanding of modern customer service theories, practices and methods.
7. Managerial Complexity - must be able to successfully handle multiple tasks at once, and be able to determine appropriate priorities; must be able to make independent interpretations and make appropriate decisions that are in the best interest of the organization and that are in the best interest of the organization and that are consistent with the objectives of upper-management.
8. Computer Skills - must be proficient in the use of business application software, to include word processor, spreadsheet, and database programs; knowledge of computerized maintenance-management software program.
9. Work Schedule - ability and willingness to work occasional evenings and/or weekends as needed; ability and willingness to participate in 24 hour on-call rotation.
1. Bachelor's degree in a related field.
2. Working knowledge of custodial maintenance, including related building fixtures, equipment, chemicals, green cleaning practices, commercial cleaning processes and adult training programs.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Employment will require a criminal background check according to University guidelines.