Detailed Job Description
Under the direction of the Department Chair, the Assistant Professor will create, manage, and participate in a variety of activities that: enhance his or her teaching, research, and service to the department, college, and university. He or she will work with students to help them realize their full potential and achieve the objectives in each of his or her classes; as well as work collaboratively with colleagues to promote the general well-being of the department, college, and university; and promote the mission and values of the university.
Graduation from an accredited institution with a Ph.D. in Philosophy or Humanities or closely related discipline and have teaching experience at the college or university level.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
-Demonstrated excellence in teaching (e.g., through student and peer evaluations).
-Ability to enthuse and motivate students, drawing them toward the Philosophy major, and deepening their interest in philosophy.
-Ability to develop curriculum and teach design courses.
-Ability to communicate (written and oral) with a wide variety of students, faculty and others effectively.
-Ability to apply multimedia hardware/software in classroom teaching.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- To be considered an applicant for employment you must apply online through the UVU.Jobs website.
- To receive full consideration for post-secondary education, please submit copies of transcripts or diploma of highest degree earned. Transcripts do not have to be official copies.
- To be considered in the first screening, the online application and required application documents (see below) must be submitted by the screening or closing date.
- Our system can only accept supplemental documents (such as cover letters or transcripts) in PDF or Word format. The file size of documents must be less than 2MB. It is strongly recommended that you take documents that are not in an electronic form and scan them into a separate black and white PDF file so you can attach them electronically to the online application. You can get help with this at a local copy center if needed.
- Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the results of a background check, which includes a criminal records check. A criminal conviction is not necessarily a bar to employment.
- Application materials become the property of UVU.
- For questions contact Human Resources at HREmployment@uvu.edu.