The assistant vice president of capital planning and facilities management will provide leadership and supervision for all activities pertaining to the development, improvement and maintenance of all Salem State University capital assets including all operations pertaining to facilities maintenance, upkeep and improvement. Reporting to the vice president for administration, the incumbent will play an extremely important role across campus in providing the most advantageous living, learning and work environments for students, faculty and staff. The overarching goal of this position will be to lead and manage staff and resources so as to optimize funding, time and labor and to provide stewardship of university physical assets in compliance with all appropriate regulatory and fiscal requirements imposed on the university.
- The assistant vice president of capital planning and facilities management will provide immediate supervision over the administrative and support staff within his/her office, the project management staff within the capital planning and facilities office, and the Director of Maintenance and Utilities.
- The assistant vice president shall be responsible for the entirety of the capital planning process and shall serve as the chair of the Capital Planning Review Team (CPRT). The CPRT includes the vice president for administration, CFO (or designee), campus planning & development senior project manager, and director of maintenance & utilities. Through that body, s/he shall manage the process of prioritizing all capital planning under the direct authority of Salem State University. S/he will oversee an effective capital planning program that includes strategic facilities master planning as well as review of all requests for capital projects meeting specific financial and programmatic criteria as developed by CPRT.
- This position is responsible for establishing and maintaining procedures to keep the university’s senior leadership fully informed of the ongoing status of capital plans and all associated concerns such as funding, scheduling, operational and logistical coordination, etc.
- Through supervision of the director of maintenance & utilities, the assistant vice president shall be primarily responsible for overseeing the upkeep, appearance and operations of all university physical assets. Maintenance and utility staff includes approximately 100 employees. The campus is 115 acres, with 25 buildings across with 5 campuses.
- The assistant vice president of capital planning & facilities management will be responsible for managing the budgets of both the capital planning & development group as well as that of the maintenance & utilities departments.
- The position incumbent will be responsible for the oversight of the staffing function of the jobs under his/her supervision including search and selection of new hires, performance management and appraisal of all staff, addressing (in consultation with human resources and/or labor relations) any performance shortcomings, and the implementation of all strategies needed to provide for staff growth and development in the pursuit of a high performance workforce, while working with union leadership and in accordance with 2 collective bargaining agreements.
- At any point where an ‘Owner’s Representative’ is retained on a project-specific basis by the university, that individual will report to the executive director.
- Minimum of fifteen (15) years directly applicable experience, with significant elements of that experience in both capital planning/construction/renovation as well as the management of facilities operations, trades, utilities and maintenance/custodial functions
- Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate field
- Demonstrated strength in the management of financial and human resources to accomplish a broad and challenging array of tasks with limited resources is required.
- Master’s degree in a discipline related to or closely supporting the business of capital planning and managing facilities
- Preference will be given to candidates with an earned Project Management certification (PMP)
- Experience working in a higher education institution or governmental agency
- Demonstrated labor relations experience
- The Assistant Vice President of Capital Planning and Facilities Management should demonstrate and model visionary leadership to all direct and indirect reports. The incumbent will conduct their business affairs in such a manner as always beyond reproach and with integrity, courage and professionalism.
- This individual will focus on building and leading strong teams and will promote the value of collaboration, open communications and professional respect at all times both among his/her own staff as well in all interactions with those from other campus departments, and all other constituencies of the University.
- The Assistant Vice President shall demonstrate strong technical proficiency and shall leverage appropriate technologies to optimize resources including staff, time and budget.
- The incumbent will possess advanced communications and interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication skills, a strong comfort level in giving presentations when needed, and the ability to perform at an extremely professional level even in the face of conflicts arising out of what are inevitably stressful situations during capital project management with contractors, design teams, regulatory agencies, etc.
- The Assistant Vice President must intrinsically believe in the value of investing in his/her direct reports and their teams. S/he must be committed to a strong talent management strategy that capitalizes on the selection, development and accountability of all staff within Capital Planning and Facilities Management.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please apply online and attach resume and cover letter.
Employment is contingent upon a completed background check satisfactory to the University. Internal candidates are not subject to background check.
Salem State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Persons of color, women and persons with disabilities are strongly urged to apply.
Please Note: If there is no application deadline associated with a position, it may come down at any time. Once a posting is removed, additional applications will not be accepted.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/rz34ttn