Detailed Job Description
The General Services Department for the West Valley-Mission Community College District is seeking a talented individual to fill the position of District Warehouse Services Clerk. Under general supervision, receive, store, issue and deliver College and office supplies and equipment; pick-up, process and deliver U.S. mail and inter-district mail.
Comprised of two colleges, West Valley College and Mission College, we are located in the heart of Silicon Valley. Our staff and faculty are among the most qualified in the state and our students appreciate our two colleges for our friendly staff and supportive atmosphere.
Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of a culturally diverse student population are encouraged to apply.
100% of full time, 37.5 hours per week, 12 months per year, with anticipated start date of October 22, 2014. This position is a member of the West Valley-Mission Classified Employees Association (WVMCEA), Operations & Support Services Employee Unit.
Work Location: District General Services, located on the West Valley College campus, Saratoga, CA.
1. Education & Experience – Completion of twelfth (12) grade or equivalent and one (1) year of experience in one or more of the following: mail, shipping and receiving, stores and distribution. Additional experience may be substituted for meeting the educational requirement;
2. Demonstrated ability to effectively work with persons of diverse socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Ability to use current equipment and software to enhance the receiving functions
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty of the position satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions required for the position.
- Pick-up, receive, sort and deliver all incoming, outgoing and inter-office mail for the District.
- Prepare and wrap for mailing, weigh, figure postage and affix the correct postage for all outgoing mail, including special service mail.
- Assist and advise staff with mail regulations, preparation and cost savings.
- Perform a variety of postal clerical tasks, including but not limited to, daily charge backs, monthly expenditure report, lost or damaged mail claims, and maintaining the mail roster.
- Operate an inter-office shuttle service for the District, West Valley College, Mission College and various Community Outreach Center offices for special services.
- Receive, unload, and inspect incoming material for conformity to purchase order and bill of lading.
- Fill Stores requisitions, maintain District Stores supplies and keeps inventory control records current and accurate.
- Perform a variety of clerical tasks including, but not limited to, inventory records and receiving reports, using computers, calculators, postal equipment, scanners, copy machines and scales.
- Keep record of postal costs.
- Operate and provide routine service to forklift, pallet jacks, light trucks, mail machine, mail carts and other related equipment.
- Provides direction and training to student helpers as assigned.
- Present to the supervisor matters requiring the supervisor’s decision. Act on the supervisor’s directives and recommendations.
- Communicate effectively with co-workers and supervisors within the area of responsibility.
- Attend and participate in District and/or College provided training or information sessions. Incorporate new information or technology into existing job duties as directed by supervisor.
- Able to react to change productively and handle other essential tasks as assigned.
Knowledge and Abilities
Demonstrated knowledge of:
- Methods and practices of store keeping, shipping and receiving;
- Safe driving practices;
- Safety practices relating to warehousing and vehicle loading.
Demonstrated ability to:
- Learn postal regulations and mail requirements;
- Operate a forklift and operate a light truck safely;
- Process and maintain accurate reports and simple records;
- Lift and move heavy objects;
- Count and perform general math calculations;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others;
- Operate general office equipment; and
- Effectively interact with people of diverse socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds.
Salary and Benefits
- Anticipated Hiring Range: $3,546–$3,862 (monthly); with a maximum earnable monthly, excluding longevity and educational growth, of $4,640.
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee and dependents, to include domestic partner.
- Employer-paid long term disability for employee.
- Voluntary life insurance.
- 13 paid holidays, plus 1 floating holiday annually; paid non-workdays between Christmas and New Year.
- Up to 22 days vacation leave accrued annually.
- 12 days sick leave accrued annually.
- Personal necessity leave and personal business leave.
- Educational growth incentive program from $35 to $175 monthly.
- $500 longevity award annually after 15 years of service and $1,000 longevity award annually after 20 years of service.
- CalPERS retirement.
- Position is union affiliated with required dues.
- Interested applicants must submit online all materials requested, including: (1) A completed online West Valley-Mission Community College District application; (2) Resume; (3) Cover letter and/or reference list, if requested; and (4) Any requested licenses or certificates, if applicable.
- All sections of the online application, including Education and Educational Work History, must be completed thoroughly.
- Supervisor(s) name(s) and telephone numbers must be included in the application.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Do NOT send unrequested materials. Unrequested materials will not be used for consideration of employment.
- The employment application and supporting documents represent you; it is to your advantage to fill out the application form carefully and completely.
For assistance, contact: West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Office of Human Resources, Attn: Recruitment
14000 Fruitvale Ave, Saratoga, CA 95070
Phone: (408) 741-2174 Fax: (408) 867-9059