Detailed Job Description
The Facilities Department for the West Valley-Mission Community College District is seeking a talented individual to fill the position of Maintenance Mechanic.
Comprised of two colleges, West Valley College and Mission College, we are located in the heart of Silicon Valley. Our staff and faculty are among the most qualified in the state and our students appreciate our two colleges for our friendly staff and supportive atmosphere.
Under general supervision, this person will perform routine and major maintenance, installation and repair of office furniture, heating, ventilation air conditioning, electrical and plumbing systems and provide assistance to other crafts in carrying out more complex maintenance jobs. This position is to perform general maintenance carpentry, electrical or plumbing duties. It is not intended for this position to perform journey level carpentry, electrical or plumbing duties. All journey level work shall be performed by carpenters, electricians and plumbers employed by the District.
Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of a culturally diverse student population are encouraged to apply.
100% of full time, 37.5 hours per week, 12 months per year, with anticipated start date of November 19, 2014. Schedule may change to include some evening or weekend hours, as needed. This position is a member of the West Valley-Mission Classified Employees Association (WVMCEA), Operations & Support Services Employee Unit.
Work Location: District Facilities department, located on the West Valley College campus, Saratoga, CA. This position may be assigned to either Mission College or West Valley College, or re-assigned from one College to the other.
1. Experience – A combination of demonstrated trades experience which includes a heavy background in the maintenance of commercial heating, air conditioning, electrical systems; demonstrated competence in maintenance, carpentry and plumbing;
2. Demonstrated ability to effectively work with persons of diverse socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty of the position satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions required for the position.
- Inspect, disassemble, repair, maintain and service hot water and forced air heating and ventilation equipment.
- Replace valves, fans, motor pumps, gaskets, filter and belts.
- Install and repair electrical equipment including installing wire, lights, switches, boxes, circuit breakers, ballast’s, bulbs, receptacles, fans, motors, panels, and light fixtures.
- Clean, repair and service air conditioning and heating equipment including belts, filters, lubrication, bearings and lines and temperature controls.
- Repair and maintain plumbing fixtures, valves and lines/piping including leaks, seals and clogged drains.
- Perform general maintenance level HVAC, plumbing, electrical, carpentry and painting. Work with other District personnel as needed in performing these tasks.
- Perform a wide variety of skilled maintenance work requiring welding, fabrication of parts, sheet metal work, painting and carpentry.
- Provide direction and training to helpers as assigned.
- Use various testing devices to locate defective parts and equipment and perform minor electrical trouble shooting.
- Estimate time and material involved.
- Repair and maintain parking ticket machines.
- Keep supervisor informed of performance and department activities. Develop and present to the supervisor matters requiring the supervisor’s decision, acting on the supervisor’s directives and recommendations.
- Assure that effective communications are maintained within the area of responsibility.
- Develop, recommend, and implement techniques and practices to improve the department function ensuring optimum performance. Maintain state-of-the-art practices keeping abreast of current trends and practices in the field.
- React to change productively and handle other essential tasks as assigned.
Knowledge and Abilities
Demonstrated knowledge of:
- Principles and theory of heating, air conditioning and electrical systems;
- Tools, materials and terminology used in at least four trades including heating, air conditioning, electrical, carpentry and plumbing; and
- Safety practices and procedures.
Demonstrated ability to:
- Read and write English;
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions;
- Use a wide variety of tools and maintenance equipment;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others;
- Read and interpret blue prints;
- Learn other related skills; and
- Effectively interact with people of diverse socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds.
Salary and Benefits
- Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,315–$4,719 (monthly); with a maximum earnable monthly, excluding longevity and educational growth, of $5,687.
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee and dependents, to include domestic partner.
- Employer-paid long term disability for employee.
- Voluntary life insurance.
- 13 paid holidays, plus 1 floating holiday annually; paid non-workdays between Christmas and New Year.
- Up to 22 days vacation leave accrued annually.
- 12 days sick leave accrued annually.
- Personal necessity leave and personal business leave.
- Educational growth incentive program from $35 to $175 monthly.
- $500 longevity award annually after 15 years of service and $1,000 longevity award annually after 20 years of service.
- CalPERS retirement.
- Position is union affiliated with required dues.
- Interested applicants must submit online all materials requested, including: (1) A completed online West Valley-Mission Community College District application; (2) Resume; (3) Cover letter and/or reference list, if requested; and (4) Any requested licenses or certificates, if applicable.
- All sections of the online application, including Education and Educational Work History, must be completed thoroughly.
- Supervisor(s) name(s) and telephone numbers must be included in the application.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Do NOT send unrequested materials. Unrequested materials will not be used for consideration of employment.
- The employment application and supporting documents represent you; it is to your advantage to fill out the application form carefully and completely.
For assistance, contact: West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Office of Human Resources, Attn: Recruitment
14000 Fruitvale Ave, Saratoga, CA 95070
Phone: (408) 741-2174 Fax: (408) 867-9059