Detailed Job Description
The Director of Dining Services provides leadership, direction, and vision to coordinate and manage the self-operated and self-supporting dining operations consisting of 5 buffet operations, 18 retail locations, and 8 restaurant-style operations. The Director ensures all areas of the food service program operates with the highest standards of safety and sanitation, quality of service and menus, and optimizing financial performance.
* Maintains best practices in training and development of staff.
* Ensures proper standards of sanitation, food handling, and safety.
* Short and long range planning for equipment and facility needs.
* Oversees the sanitation program including ensuring all local and state regulations are met and exceeded.
* Reviews hiring, training and discipline of all dining service employees; and models customer service behavior and standards in all areas.
* Develops and administers operating budgets and provides required financial reports
* Maintains positive working relationship with employees, customers and university staff; and works closely with academic areas on joint endeavors and the provision of opportunities for academic experiences.
* Directly supervises a management team of eight and through them, provides leadership to 200 classified staff, and indirectly supervises over 1300 student staff.
- Bachelor's degree in Food Service Management, Dietetics, Hospitality, Culinary Arts or a related field.
- Five or more years of executive/senior level management experience in a complex university food service operation including residential, retail, and restaurant-style operations with over $15 million in annual revenue.
- Demonstrated success in creating and implementing innovative programming.
- Experience in developing and managing efficient and effective staffing models to support both peak and lesser demand periods in all operations.
- Demonstrated experience in managing sustainability and local food initiatives.
- Demonstrated supervisory, leadership, and human resource management experience to effectively administer and manage within a diverse and complex organization including recruitment, hiring, evaluating, training, and safety programs.
- Related food service operations management experience in a high volume, high quality, diverse multi-unit operation including but not limited to; financial and labor management, best practices and bench-marking, menu development, and technology information systems (point of sale, menu management system), equipment procurement, maintenance and repair, policy and procedure development, food production, handling and storage, quality control, health and safety, marketing and merchandising.
- Master's degree in Restaurant Management, Business, Hospitality, or related field.
- Seven years of executive/senior level management experience in a complex, multi-faceted, university dining service operation.
- Progressive, forward thinking leader with a full understanding of emerging culinary trends, from-scratch cooking, residential special event programming, and student employment.
- Demonstrated commitment to and experience with diverse populations.
- Experience in Lean methodology.
- Record of achievement in delivering outstanding student focused service as evidenced by NACUFS awards, national benchmarks, or other recognized satisfaction surveys.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Employment will require a criminal background check according to University guidelines.