Detailed Job Description
Perform mechanical, electrical, plumbing and other engineering related construction administration duties on various major construction and site utility improvement projects.
1. Perform engineering related construction administration duties on various major projects.
2. Project scheduling: help develop and monitor project schedules; ensure schedule is accurate and updated to reflect changing project conditions. Identify to University Project Manager(s) when construction progress falls behind schedule and subsequent oversight of recovery of schedules. Verify adherence to schedule when reviewing contractor's progress payments.
3. Work coordination: responsible for oversight and assuring coordination between various trades, suppliers and end users to ensure timely completion of project; attend weekly progress meetings with contractors; ensure that all safety requirements are met for each project. Oversee LEED and related energy conservation and environmental initiatives including assuring any required documentation is in place. Makes sure systems are serviceable including design reviews and subsequent construction installation to assure ease and maintainability of systems.
4. Quality control: ensures construction is in compliance with drawings and specifications and University standards for quality and contract compliance are being met.
5. Project close-out: inspection of contractors work to ensure compliance with all project requirements; follow-up to ensure contractor and Associate Engineers completes all final inspection work tasks (punch list, commissioning, clean up etc); ensure submission of accurate record drawings and operations and maintenance manuals.
6. Warranty period oversight: Responsible for oversight and enforcing correction of one year warranty period items as well as defective work and related work deficiencies to be corrected by contractors.
1. Education and Experience: minimum of five years experience as a full-time construction project manager; or, a bachelor's degree in construction management, architecture, or engineering, plus a minimum of two years, full-time, relevant experience.
2. Construction knowledge: understanding of common commercial and institutional construction techniques, practices, means, methods, tools and equipment; must be knowledgeable about building codes related to various construction disciplines; understanding the skilled trades work, to include electrical, HVAC, plumbing, building automation, fire suppression systems, conveyance systems, and related engineered systems. Experience with single prime, multiple prime, construction manager at risk, and design/build contracts.
3. Technical understanding: ability to read, interpret, and understand drawings, specifications, design details, and technical submittals; must be knowledgeable in reading and interpreting construction schedules.
4. Attention to detail: ability to maintain detailed and complete records of construction activities and costs; strong organizational skills.
5. Communication skills: ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, to a wide range of persons.
6. Commissioning: familiarity with commissioning procedures as well as requirements with regard to attaining LEED certification.
7. Customer service skills: understanding of modern customer service theories, practices and methods.
8. Managerial complexity: must be able to successfully handle multiple tasks simultaneously, and be able to determine appropriate priorities; must be able to make independent interpretations and make appropriate decisions that are in the best interest of the organization and are consistent with the objectives of Miami University.
9. Computer skills: must be proficient in the use of business application software, to include word processing, spreadsheet and database programs; experience in the use of Microsoft Project software is preferred.
10. Experience working with State of Ohio construction administration processes and procedures.
Skilled past superintendent, journeyman, MES (mechanical equipment service) certified, or related project administrator specializing in installing, maintaining and oversight of mechanical, plumbing, electrical, life safety, fire suppression, building automation and other related engineering based trades work with expedience in maintaining multi facility complex facility systems.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Employment will require a criminal background check according to University guidelines.