Detailed Job Description
Divisional Engineering Representative providing organizational oversight that partners with project management teams comprised of architects, engineers, business administration, and construction administrators to effectively contribute university engineering oversight as needed throughout the duration of projects. Requires coordination with various University departments and committees, the Ohio Facilities Construction Commission, other State agencies, Associate Architects and Consulting Engineers and Construction Firms.
1. Supports Divisional LEAN continuous improvement efforts, sustainability initiatives, customer service philosophy, and productivity expectations with a focus on effective, efficient engineering solutions for the University.
2. Assists the University Architect with coordination of relevant engineering administration activities for the Division. This includes scheduling of projects, managing budgets, and assigning projects; maintaining the PFD Design and Construction Guidelines and the PFD Project Manager's Manual.
3. Manages the engineering project managers, engineering construction administrators, and interns. Oversees their professional development with regard to increasing their value and contributions to the University as well as identifying operational efficiency criteria. Coordinates assignments based on the needs of Departmental personnel and schedules for project completion.
4. Work as liaison to maintenance shops offering technical support and review of MEP operations and best practices.
5. Overall project management responsibilities for assigned projects of various sizes and types from programming, to schematic design, through to project closeout and warranty period. This includes: budget and scheduling oversight; preparation of all necessary drawing and specification documents either directly, by in-house staff or private consulting Architects and Engineers; coordination of meetings with project committee members and various other University department representatives; review of documents for compliance with University standards and general coordination between disciplines; bids analysis; representation for the university during construction administration; and coordination of project close-out; all as outlined in PFD's Project Manager's Manual.
6. Assists in the review of construction documents prepared by others, in particular assisting project oversight and compliance with Engineering Construction standards and Utility Master Plan coordination and related master planning efforts to support university infrastructure and systems.
7. Prepares project status reports and prepares or oversees the preparation of various presentation materials, graphs, charts, schedules, and forms, necessary to provide current and accurate data about project status to the administration and our customers to keep them informed. Also coordinates the collection of project data for charting and analyses with respect to predetermined Key Indicators for Divisional and Departmental Strategic Planning Objectives.
8. Provides information and assistance to support the ongoing development of a computer based record system for collecting and storing building data. Assists in updating and maintaining existing building drawings, utility masters, campus maps, Design and Construction Guidelines manual, Project Manager's manual and building plat drawings using CAD and other computer system applications.
9. Assists in the development and implementation of Planning and Construction Goals and Objectives, develops and pursues personal goals and objectives that are in alignment with and supportive of Divisional goals.
This position requires a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or related field, and at least five years of engineering management experience. The successful candidate should have a broad understanding of all related architectural/engineering disciplines, and the ability to organize, prioritize, perform under pressure in both public and internal capacities is paramount.
Professional Registration as a Mechanical Engineer is preferred. Thorough knowledge of the Capital Planning process, as administered by the State of Ohio, is desirable.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Employment will require a criminal background check according to University guidelines.