Detailed Job Description
The Director of Parent & Family Programs focuses on communication, event planning, and support of development initiatives for parent and family members of Miami University students. The Director coordinates communication with and provides timely and helpful information to parents of Miami students, in order to better support our students' success. He/she also carries out the responsibilities associated with the Miami University Parents Fund and the Miami University Parents Council. The Director is responsible for event planning and overseeing some of the traditional awards ceremonies at the University, and assists in the planning and implementation of all Division-wide efforts targeting family involvement, including parent orientation, "Make it Miami" events, Family Weekend, and Homecoming.
- Oversee the content, design, and implementation of all on-line and printed communications with parents and families; including e-newsletters, social media, prospective parent publications, and calendars.
- Serve as first contact for Miami parents through telephone, email, and social media communications. Coordinate referrals to manage and address parent questions and concerns.
- Manage and update the Parent & Families website.
- Act as host and liaison for members of the Miami University Parents Council. Coordinate all on-campus events or activities for the Council, including semi-annual full Council meetings.
- Work in collaboration with Advancement and the Vice President for Student Affairs to recruit new members to the Parent Council, and to identify and cultivate donors for the Parent Fund.
- In collaboration with the Associate Dean of Students and the Vice President for Student Affairs, set policy and coordinate disbursements from Miami University Parents Fund.
- Collaborate with New Student Programs to design and implement parent orientation. Work closely with partner offices to plan Family Weekend, Homecoming, and other events that include family involvement.
- Plan and manage logistics for "Make It Miami" events in select cities each spring, in collaboration with Admissions and Advancement.
- Coordinate multiple annual award ceremonies including the nomination process and arrangements for the President's Distinguished Service Awards.
- Manage the budget for the Parent and Family Office and associated accounts.
- Provide leadership for the institution and work closely with the other Student Affairs offices to address the changing needs of students and parents, especially in the areas of transition and retention.
- Some evening and weekend hours and occasional out-of-state travel required.
- Master's degree in student affairs, higher education, or related field.
- Three years experience working in student affairs or other student services area on a college campus required.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Demonstrated experience with technology (i.e., Microsoft Office, MS Publisher, Adobe software, image editing) for print and web publishing.
- Experience with social media (i.e., Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other outlets)
- Collaborative, organized, professional, and able to serve as a good ambassador with our parents.
- Adaptable and willing to take on new challenges.
Experience with fundraising/development activities.
Familiarity with assessment and metrics
Special Instructions to Applicants
Employment will require a criminal background check according to University guidelines.