Detailed Job Description
Leads the University's effort to ensure smooth, unbroken operations, even under the most dynamic of situations. Will design, develop and administer Utah Valley University Emergency Management Plan and Safety. Coordinates with other departments, governmental agencies as well as private and/or volunteer groups to implement emergency preparedness education and exercises, and to carry out the plan's operations during an actual event.
As Risk Manager is responsible for the implementation and management of all of the University's insurance programs, with the exception of employee benefits, in all divisions of the University, including the academic division.
Bachelor's Degree in Emergency Management, Disaster Mitigation or a related field required, preferably with significant course work in business, risk management, insurance, or related field.
Master's degree desirable, preferably in higher education administration, business, or public administration.
Requires 7 or more years of relevant professional experience in disaster planning, safety program coordination, emergency management or emergency preparedness or experience in the risk management and/or insurance field, preferably some of which was received in higher education, health care, or the non-profit sector.
Possession of a valid Utah Driver's License Prefer at least one major risk management or insurance certification, such as the Associate in Risk Management designation (ARM) issued by the Insurance Institute of America and/or the Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter designation (CPCU) issued by the American Institute of Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriters (AICPCU).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Knowledge: Knowledge of current practices, principles and trends in emergency preparedness and campus safety; possess a working knowledge of local, state, and federal emergency management policies and programs; computer literate, including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, web based programs and basic security protocols.
Strong service orientation. A comprehensive knowledge of risk management and insurance coverage, laws, principles, and related matters. Able to manage a complex risk management program in the decentralized environment of the University. Must be highly motivated, good at working on own initiative, with no direct supervision. Must be a good manager and an effective leader.
Skills: Excellent oral and written communications skills. Good communication and negotiation skills; able to sell others on risk management ideas and concepts. Must be computer literate and willing to stay on the cutting edge of technology.
Abilities: Ability to analyze emergency operations, make appropriate recommendations, develop plans, training programs, periodic drills, and appropriate training systems. Strong leadership and teambuilding abilities. Ability to advise key staff and maintain effective organizational change programs. Able to deal with all types of people, including the faculty, physicians, health care professionals, researchers, staff, and all levels of management.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- To be considered an applicant for employment you must apply online through the UVU.Jobs website.
- To receive full consideration for post-secondary education, please submit copies of transcripts or diploma of highest degree earned. Transcripts do not have to be official copies.
- To be considered in the first screening, the online application and required application documents (see below) must be submitted by the screening or closing date.
- Our system can only accept supplemental documents (such as cover letters or transcripts) in PDF or Word format. The file size of documents must be less than 2MB. It is strongly recommended that you take documents that are not in an electronic form and scan them into a separate black and white PDF file so you can attach them electronically to the online application. You can get help with this at a local copy center if needed.
- Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the results of a background check, which includes a criminal records check. A criminal conviction is not necessarily a bar to employment.
- Application materials become the property of UVU.
- For questions contact Human Resources at HREmployment@uvu.edu.