Detailed Job Description
The Assistant Director of Development, Annual Giving will advance the mission of Miami University by planning, organizing, and implementing strategies to increase the level of personal engagement and financial commitment of alumni and friends. Particular emphasis will be given to securing philanthropic and volunteer support for the university's Annual Fund.
- Serve as one of four departmental liaisons for Miami University in addressing their philanthropic and alumni relations objectives.
- Effect solicitations and stewardship calls to alumni and friends independently and occasionally with other staff, faculty, administrators and alumni volunteers. Encourage and coordinate involvement of alumni and friends through campus visits and regional events.
- Prepare and present departmental and division proposals to alumni and friends with the input and assistance of faculty, staff, administrators and deans. Proposals may include tax planning, gifts of real estate, personal property, securities and gifts in wills, trusts, annuities, and insurance.
- Develop and implement service, cultivation, and solicitation strategies for assigned prospects with the support of Advancement Services and Office of Development staff, faculty, and administrators.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward alumni and friends of Miami University for gifts in support of the programs and divisions of the university. Encourage and coordinate involvement of alumni and friends through campus visits and regional events.
- Coordinate fund drives for special projects and school-specific programs. Identify segments of the student and alumni population who will be targeted for gifts. Develop and implement a strategy to effectively solicit for special funds created and supported by classes, clubs, and alumni groups. Strategy may include direct mail, electronic communications, events, and personal correspondence and personal visits. Manage and produce electronic and print communications as needed to steward fund donors.
- Assist Director with donor renewal management and ensure that previous year donors renew their support in each current year. Create strategy for mass solicitation through phone, email and mail solicitations and work with colleagues to create strategies for personal solicitation. Track and report results on a regular and ongoing basis.
- Secure a minimum of $100,000 in commitments from alumni, parents and friends during each fiscal year.
- Coordinate relationships between donors and Miami and facilitate alumni involvement on campus through speaking engagements, event attendance, etc.
- Provide personal customer service for unmanaged prospects.
- Work with the Senior Director of Development for Special Projects to assist with $50 million campaign for scholarship and personally secure named scholarship gifts.
- Participate in planning meetings, accepting special assignments, assisting colleagues and providing support for all ongoing programs and operations as needed.
Bachelor's degree; minimum one to three years of relevant experience such as fundraising or sales; an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered; outstanding oral and written communication skills; excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. Ability and willingness to travel extensively both on a regional and national level (Internships, volunteer work, and other experience gained during the completion of degree programs may be counted towards these requirements).
Fundraising experience in an educational setting; experience in developing individual relationships and cultivation opportunities which have led to successful solicitations or sales.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Employment will require a criminal background check according to University guidelines.