Detailed Job Description
(Two positions available) The eLearning Instructional Design Specialist reports to the Assistant Director of eLearning. Working in conjunction with faculty and academic administrators, will provide pedagogical and instructional design expertise to support Miami's online programs and university mission to provide highly engaging online courses. The position will provide direct support to faculty in the design and development of web enhanced, hybrid and fully online courses, the use of instructional technology systems, and the application of sound principles of online pedagogy.
Working in conjunction with faculty and academic deans, the eLearning Instructional Design Specialist will:
● Provide consultation and project management for the integration of technology in the curriculum for hybrid and fully online courses.
● Support course evaluation and quality assurance based on identified online quality standards.
● Support faculty in the integration of social media tools, graphics, and emerging technologies to facilitate teaching practices and student learning experiences.
● Track the online course development process, monitor ongoing courses, and troubleshoot problems in technology and course delivery.
● Conduct workshops, demonstrations, or telephone consultation sessions for faculty in support of course/program development.
● Assist faculty and staff with assessment of instructional outcomes.
● Work collaboratively with Production Specialists to design, develop, and manage production of course video, graphics, animations, and interactive elements.
● Assist online instructors with analyzing standards, goals of curriculum, and identifying and implementing learning strategies to meet these goals.
● Assist faculty with selection and inclusion of accessibility technology during course development.
● Create documentation and instructions to assist faculty and students in course delivery.
● Assist with the development of policies and practices, planning, budgeting, priorities, workflow, etc. as required.
● Support ELO documentation efforts and project tracking related to the online course development process.
● Identify appropriate vendors and recommend the purchase of online education related technology; establish and maintain a useful relationship with vendors.
● Implement various Miami e-Learning Office policies/practices.
● Assist in the creation and configuration of course templates, migration of content and courses, and archiving and backup of courses/materials as needed.
● Support selection, training, and utilization of student workers to assist with the workload as needed within the scope of this job description and supported e-Learning program(s).
● Maintain currency in knowledge of instructional and social media technologies to support learning.
● Respond to (occasional) course/program support issues outside of normal operating hours.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Bachelor's degree in education instructional design, educational technology, or related academic discipline.
● Three (3) years of experience in instructional design, instructional technology, distance learning, or directly related field supporting e-Learning course design and development.
● Solid understanding of pedagogy, and trends in college instruction and faculty development.
● Experience with using and supporting learning management systems.
● Facility with Dreamweaver and other html coding software, Captivate, Articulate, and similar instructional design software.
● Experience with training, staff development, and/or teaching.
● Excellent written, presentation, and interpersonal communications skills.
● Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
● Excellent communication and teaching skills.
● Demonstrated ability to apply sound principles of online pedagogy to support a community of inquiry, including teaching presence, authentic assessment to support higher order learning, and social presence.
● Online teaching experience and/or experience as an online learner in higher education.
● Master's degree in instructional design, educational technology or related academic discipline.
● Experience with designing or leading webinars or other synchronous sessions
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants will be asked to submit resume, cover letter and list of three references when applying for this position. Inquiries about this position can be directed to email@example.com.