Unfortunately, this job is expired as of 8/23/2014.
To continue in your search through the appropriate job categories, click either Administrative Staff, Higher Education Executives, Faculty, Post-Doc and Graduate Assistants, . You can also utilize "guess-free" keyword search tools with up to eight pre-defined criteria. Search for and Apply to academic postings directly from the site. Post your background either confidentially or overtly. Stand out and be discovered!
Instructional Online Course Designer
Department: Continuing Education
Job IRC #13847
Under general direction of the Director of Online Education of Professional and Continuing Education, the Instructional Online Course Designer is responsible for online course development efforts within the Division of Professional and Continuing Education. Researches and assesses online educational needs and interests for targeted public segments, and develops online programs, courses, materials, technology, and learning approaches accordingly. Serves as the work lead coordinating instructional design and course building. Is an experienced professional who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the instructional design and online learning; performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; broad job knowledge; works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Uses skills as a seasoned, experienced online learning professional to resolve a wide range of educational program issues and needs assessments. Develops new online courses and programs, and works on complex educational programs of diverse scope. Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for delivering courses, presentations and developing programs. Receives general instructions and guidance in an open and collegial manner and exercises good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for course, program and instructional improvement. Fully knowledgeable in online learning pedagogy, strategies, technologies, and program development. Collaborates with USD Information Technology Services staff for learning management system access, network access, and technology use policy.
Reports to Director of Online Education, Professional and Continuing Education. Acts as Work Lead to Online Course Builder and Online Program Coordinator.
Examples of Work:
• Plans and develops new programs and curriculum, and adjusts courses and curriculum in a continuing education environment.
• Participates in long-range strategic planning for public educational programs.
• Recruits, selects, orients, evaluates and supervises qualified course and program instructors.
• Evaluates and adjusts course curriculum through student/participant evaluations and level of interest shown.
• Tracks student or participant performance and course desirability.
• May provide training or mentoring to instructors.
• Under limited supervision, researches, writes and/or edits material for a variety of publications for internal and external audiences, consulting with clients as necessary.
• As an editor, ensures clarity, organization, accuracy, style, and quality of written work.
• Production Coordination and Tracking
• Other duties as assigned.
• Requires Master’s Degree in online teaching and learning or related area.
• Five years of demonstrated work experience in an education, or related institution/environment.
• Budgetary and financial experience, preferably in a higher education setting.
• Understanding of the administrative functions, academic programs and requirements of a university.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated technology skills and ability – LMS management, online presentation development, graphical layout, digital audio and video, HTML coding and editing.
• Strong organizational skills and ability.
• Ability to negotiate.
• Demonstrated leadership skills and ability.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Thorough knowledge of functional area and understanding of how work may impact other areas.
• Thorough analytical skills to conduct analysis and develop recommendations, demonstrating organization and problem-solving skills.
• Thorough and effective verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills and presentation skills.
• Thorough knowledge of campus policies and procedures.
• Thorough knowledge of and skill in delivering online educational programs.
• Thorough knowledge of current public educational programs and trends.
• Thorough skills to conduct needs assessment and development of new presentations/courses to meet organizational needs.
• Knowledge of managing a portfolio of business and management courses at the university or corporate level.
• Skill in using business software systems in the completion of work assignments; i.e. Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint.
• Thorough knowledge of the fundamentals of writing, grammar, syntax, style, and punctuation.
• Thorough knowledge of appropriate editorial style and publication guidelines.
• Thorough skills to write clear, lively, engaging and compelling copy in a variety of styles appropriate to target audiences and/or the broader public, while ensuring adherence to the campus message.
• Thorough knowledge of the campus, including its mission, goals, achievements, infrastructure, programs, and policies.
• Thorough knowledge of issues in higher education and/or a specialized academic discipline or field.
• Thorough attention to detail, project management and organizational skills.
• Knowledge of computer applications for publishing, image handling, and/or web production, digital audio and video editing, HTML coding and editing.
• Thorough research and fact verification skills.
• Knowledge and use of LMS functionality, reporting, and course management
• Knowledge and use of collaboration software (chat, desktop sharing, conferencing).
• Thorough knowledge of online course development process.
• Knowledge of the principles of adult learning theory.
Special Conditions of Employment:
• Must be able to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends in order to meet project deadlines.
• Must be able to work with all required technologies and tools.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes. Serious candidates are encouraged to request official transcripts to help expedite the hiring process.
Salary: Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Business & Administration: Human Resources: Benefits
Hours: 37.5 hours per week; 8:30am-5:00pm
Closing date: Open Until Filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
Click <a href="http://apptrkr.com/498105">Apply Now</a> to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com
You were inactive for over twenty minutes. To protect you, we have logged you out. Any unsaved data has been lost.