Unfortunately, this job is expired as of 6/14/2012.
To continue in your search through the appropriate job categories, click either Administrative Staff, Higher Education Executives, Faculty, Post-Doc and Graduate Assistants, . You can also utilize "guess-free" keyword search tools with up to eight pre-defined criteria. Search for and Apply to academic postings directly from the site. Post your background either confidentially or overtly. Stand out and be discovered!
University of San Diego
Head of Technical Services Department
Location: San Diego, CA, US
Organization Name: Copley Library
The University of San Diego's Copley Library seeks an energetic and enthusiastic individual to serve as the Head of the Technical Services Department. As head of the department, this individual serves as one of three department heads that comprise the University Librarian's management team.
Reporting to the University Librarian, the Head of the Technical Services Department is responsible for supervising personnel, including 1.5 librarians, 7 staff, 2-3 graduate assistants, and 5 work-study students. This person manages the overall operations of the Technical Services Department that includes cataloging and metadata, acquisitions, serials, e-resources, and preservation. The Head of the Technical Services Department will help to establish goals and objectives, policies, standards, and procedures for bibliographic control of materials in all formats; establish and monitor workflows; and perform technical services work as required. He/she works with the Budget Manager to track both the library collections and departmental budget and will work with staff to ensure that the University's purchasing and payment guidelines are followed. This individual serves as a liaison to one subject area and will be responsible for cultivating a strong relationship with the department through collection development, instruction, and reference work. As a department head, he/she serves as a member of the University Librarian's management team. He/she serves on Copley Library committees. This person must be active at the state and national levels in the library profession. This is a 12-month tenure-track library faculty position.
• ALA accredited MLS or MLIS degree
• Minimum two years technical services experience
• Experience with an integrated library system, preferable III’s Millennium
• Demonstrate experience in organizational and project management
• Knowledge of maintaining print and e-resources records, including serials, e-resources, and e-books
• Knowledge of metadata standards and schema, such as Dublin Core, MODS, METS, and PREMIS
• Familiarity with RDA rules and FRBR model for cataloging
• Demonstrate an aptitude for budget management
• Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skill
• Library supervisory experience
• Experience as a liaison to an academic department
• Experience with collection development
• Experience with negotiating licenses and working with vendors
• Knowledge of acquisitions for print and electronic resources
• Knowledge of emerging technologies, e.g., digital institutional repository
• Familiarity with preservation techniques
• Familiarity with copyright law and policies
• Bibliographic knowledge of one or more languages
Salary and rank are commensurate with education and experience. Librarians in Copley Library have faculty appointments and must demonstrate excellence in librarianship, research, services, and otherwise meet reappointment, promotion, and tenure criteria.
USD is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer.
Benefits: Benefits include health care, retirement, and life insurance. USD is a private, Roman Catholic university with over 7,800 undergraduate and graduate students. The university's website is www.sandiego.edu.
Deadline: Formal review of applications will begin January 10, 2012, and continue until the position is filled. The start date is immediate but can be negotiated.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check, to include social security verification and federal/county criminal check.
How To Apply
To apply, go to http://apptrkr.com/221804 and follow these steps:
Click on the link for current faculty openings.
Click on the link for IRC6391.
Click Apply Now and register as an applicant.
Please upload the following documents (please do not send any additional materials). If you have difficulty uploading any documents, please contact Human Resources at (619) 260-6806 or (619) 260-2725 and reference job posting IRC6391.
a) Letter of application
c) Names, addresses and telephone numbers of five professional references.
Questions can be directed to Dr. Theresa S. Byrd, University Librarian, (619) 260-2370, email@example.com
You were inactive for over twenty minutes. To protect you, we have logged you out. Any unsaved data has been lost.