Detailed Job Description
The successful candidate will be expected to develop and teach lower and upper division courses in Geomatics requiring extensive knowledge, expertise, and experience in Geodesy and Measurement Analysis and Adjustments, Survey Control and Networks, Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Construction and Route Surveys, as well as general Surveying principles, theories, and practices. Duties may also include mentoring senior level students with research based capstone projects, preparation of students to pass national exams, and providing foundational knowledge for graduate studies in Geomatics and related fields. Because the Geomatics program at UVU is new, duties may include promotion of the program to the general public, schools, and state professional associations and organizations which may include public speaking engagements, workshops and other similar venues.
While a PhD in an appropriate discipline is preferred, this position requires a Masters Degree in Geomatics, Geomatics Engineering, Geodesy, or Geospatial Sciences or closely-related field, preferably NOT Geographical Information Systems. A Licensed Professional Land Surveyor, preferably in the State of Utah or be able to obtain a Surveying license in the State of Utah within 2 years of hire.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
-Proven ability to develop and teach lower-division and upper-division Geomatics courses using effective teaching methods and principles.
-Posses a combination of knowledge, skill, and ability in performing research with undergraduates, professional Geomatics work, involvement with professional organizations, and continuing educational programs.
-Thorough knowledge, skills, and experience in Geodesy, Measurement Analysis and Adjustments, Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Survey Control and Networks, Construction and Route Surveys, as well as basic Surveying principles, theories, and practices.
-A working knowledge of Geographic Information systems is also preferred.
Special Instructions to Applicants
-Please email a 10-15 minute video depiciting the candidate teaching on a surverying topic. Email to PerryDL@uvu.edu
-Please include a copy of your Surveying License, if applicable.
- To be considered an applicant for employment you must apply online through the UVU.Jobs website.
- To receive full consideration for post-secondary education, please submit copies of transcripts or diploma of highest degree earned. Transcripts do not have to be official copies.
- To be considered in the first screening, the online application and required application documents (see below) must be submitted by the screening or closing date.
- Our system can only accept supplemental documents (such as cover letters or transcripts) in PDF or Word format. The file size of documents must be less than 2MB. It is strongly recommended that you take documents that are not in an electronic form and scan them into a separate black and white PDF file so you can attach them electronically to the online application. You can get help with this at a local copy center if needed.
- Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the results of a background check, which includes a criminal records check. A criminal conviction is not necessarily a bar to employment.
- Application materials become the property of UVU.
- For questions contact Human Resources at HREmployment@uvu.edu.