Detailed Job Description
The School of Health Sciences invites applications for the position of Clinical Assistant Professor for Clinical Integration for Physical Therapy to begin August, 2014.
Excellence in physical therapy education is developed in cooperation with the larger University and health science community that is student centered and focused on academic distinction. Our program seeks to enhance the professional development of every student and faculty member through a variety of academic, scholarly and service opportunities. This philosophy is well represented by the program's physical resources and integrated curriculum that links foundational and medical sciences, clinical practice and professionalism.
Quinnipiac University is a thriving private university with 6,500 undergraduate and 2,300 graduate students, located in Hamden, Connecticut, approximately 90 minutes from New York City and two hours from Boston. Consistently ranked among the best universities by U.S. News & World Report and recently named one of the 2013 Great Colleges to Work For by The Chronicle of Higher Education, Quinnipiac offers 58 undergraduate majors and 20 graduate and professional programs, including those leading to degrees in both law and medicine. At the core of Quinnipiac is its commitment to teaching and collaboration. Quinnipiac fosters partnerships among students and with faculty; it is a spirited, welcoming campus.
This position is responsible for coordinating the activities of Quinnipiac University Physical Therapy students and faculty at Gaylord Hospital and its affiliated clinics, providing physical therapy services to patients at Gaylord Hospital and at times, responsible for assisting with other clinical partnerships.
Academic Integration activities (80% of job duties)
- Serve as liaison for the academic program and the clinical site via communication with the Faculty Coordinator of Clinical Partnerships at Quinnipiac and the Director of Therapy Services at Gaylord Hospital
- Work in conjunction with the physical therapy faculty to provide educational opportunities for physical therapy students during the professional component of their curriculum
- Develop sound clinical learning opportunities that reflect the program’s mission and goals
- Develop and teach appropriate educational opportunities integrating clinical experiences with students’ didactic levelincluding co-teach courses/ modules directly linked to clinical experiences
- Assess student learning within each visit, provide feedback to faculty and students on performance
- Provide Gaylord Hospital clinical personnel pertinent information regarding the curriculum, clinical objectives, behavioral objectives and appropriate Quinnipiac policies and procedures
- Provide students and faculty information regarding Gaylord Hospital policies and procedures, provide educational sessions to ensure compliance
- Schedule and supervise student activities at Gaylord Hospital and its affiliated clinics..
- Work in conjunction with the faculty to develop objectives for students who require extra clinical time, Schedule and supervise all students who require or request extra clinic time
- Maintain records and assessments of clinical activities including: student hours logged, Gaylord personnel involvement and hours logged, faculty activities, student assessments and student evaluations
- Disseminate records to faculty coordinator of clinical partnerships and Chairman of Physical Therapy at Quinnipiac University, and the Director of Therapy Services at Gaylord Hospital
- Provide advising for undergrad/ graduate students at Quinnipiac University
- Mentor student research activities, disseminate information regarding potential research opportunities to Gaylord and Quinnipiac personnel
- Attends faculty meeting at Quinnipiac University
Patient Care activities (20% of job duties)
- Selects appropriate testing procedures and performs them in a competent and timely manner
- Develops appropriate short and long term goals that reflect patient & significant othergoals and expectations, and provides an accurate estimation of time needed to reach those projected goals
- Prioritizes treatment and modifies the treatment, goals and time needs appropriately in response to changes in patient's needs and responses to care
- Anticipates needs for each patient's discharge including equipment recommendationand procurement, referrals, and patient and significant other education
- Appropriately schedules patients in regard to their clinical needs, financial considerations and level of service
- Meets productivity standards as assigned
- Utilizes proper safety techniques and observations regarding self, each patient, their significant others and the environment
- Completes evaluations, progress, interim and daily documentation in accordance with department and hospital standards
- Provides up to date documentation of treatment regimen for support staff, or for sick or vacation coverage.
- Completes all billing procedures as assigned
- Keeps supervisor informed on clinical issues, problems, or concerns relating to job role and any other issues related to job performance.
- Complies with the Code of Ethics established by the American Physical Therapy Association and complies with state and federal law regarding the practice of physical therapy
- Complies with all departmental and hospital policies and procedures
- Participates and attends in-services, rounds and continuing education programs at Gaylord Hospital
- Responsible to Physical Therapy Supervisors and the Director of Therapy Services at Gaylord Hospital
Qualifications & Special Instructions to Applicants
- Graduate of an accredited physical therapy program
- Licensed to practice physical therapy in CT.
- Minimum of 3 years experience as physical therapist- broad based experience preferred
- Post professional master’s degree in physical therapy or other related field preferred
- Experience in Clinical teaching – APTA Clinical Instruction Credentialing preferred
- Proficient in information technology
- Excellent administrative and management skills with ability to handle multiple tasks
- Excellent communicator with a mastery of professional generic abilities
- Ability to travel
Applications must be submitted electronically and should only include:
- A letter declaring interest in the position;
- A Current CV, including details of teaching experience and research achievements;
- The names and contact information of three references must be submitted on the application form
Quinnipiac University has a strong commitment to the principles and practices of diversity throughout the University community. We welcome candidates who would enhance that diversity. Quinnipiac offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefit program.
Job Code: 2014-1507