Detailed Job Description
Full time teaching position scheduled for six hours of student contact and two hours of professional activity per day. May require some evening or weekend hours as determined by the Director. Will provide instruction in all elements of baking,and pastry doughs. Instructs individuals and groups in classrooms and production kitchens through demonstration, discussion, visual aids, conferences, field trips, individualized instruction, lectures, and other appropriate methods. Evaluates instruction and learning by use of written, oral, practical and performance testing. Provides food products for re-sale. Recommends students for advancement and graduation, maintains and submits accurate records, supervises extra-curricular activities as assigned. Maintains office hours and advises students in their professional development. Assists in maintaining an effective program with the scope of the Culinary Arts Institute. Controls cost of food used for re-sale and instruction, requisitions and receives teaching supplies along with food and non-food items. Serves on department committees. Maintains kitchen in a safe and professional manner which exceeds local health and safety standards, performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications; Associate degree or graduation from formal apprenticeship program in Culinary Arts or closely related field along with relevant recent work experience in quality food production, menu planning, purchasing, and supervision of employees of not less than four years, or three years teaching Culinary Arts at the post secondary level. Must have or acquire within one year of employment certification at the level of Chef de Cuisine or higher by the American Culinary Federation. Have or acquire with 90 days of employment ServSafe certification from the NRAEI.
Preferred Qualifications: Bachelors degree in Culinary Arts or closely related field with five years of industry experience as sous-chef, executive chef or specialty chef. Experience should be with food service operations such as fine dining, hotels/resorts, or upscale catering. Certification by the American Culinary Federation as either Executive Chef or Culinary Educator, or higher. Recent experience and current knowledge of culinary competitions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Skills in student managment, motivations, evaluation and recruitment. Interpersonal problem and descision making skills. Ability to communicate effectively. Knowledge of instructional strategies and techiniques. Ability to assess learning outcomes. Knowlege of skills based curriculum development.
Current knowledge and skills related to Baking including; Artisan breads, quick breads and muffins. Current knowledge and skills in roll in doughs, puff pastry, pie making, and varieties of cakes and tortes. Must be able to teach students how to assemble simple desserts and work with custards, bavarian creams and icings. Exerience in retail baking, and especially fine dining production will be helpful.
Selective Placement Factors
Experience in regional, national, or international culinary competitions.
Knowlege of certification standards and testing requirments of the American Culinary Federation.
Special Instructions to Applicants
This position is posted on a continuous recruit basis. This means that applications are accepted even though there may not be a position currently available. Applications are held in the Human Resources Office pending the department's requirements.
- To be considered an applicant for employment you must apply online through the UVU.Jobs website.
- To receive full consideration for post-secondary education, please submit copies of transcripts or diploma of highest degree earned. Transcripts do not have to be official copies.
- To be considered in the first screening, the online application and required application documents (see below) must be submitted by the screening or closing date.
- Our system can only accept supplemental documents (such as cover letters or transcripts) in PDF or Word format. The file size of documents must be less than 2MB. It is strongly recommended that you take documents that are not in an electronic form and scan them into a separate black and white PDF file so you can attach them electronically to the online application. You can get help with this at a local copy center if needed.
- Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the results of a background check, which includes a criminal records check. A criminal conviction is not necessarily a bar to employment.
- Application materials become the property of UVU.
- For questions contact Human Resources at HREmployment@uvu.edu.