Detailed Job Description
The Health Occupations Department at Mission College is now accepting applications for a full-time, tenure-track instructor position in nursing. We are currently seeking applicants who will qualify for approval by the Board of Registered Nursing and the Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technician. The BRN requirements include medical-surgical nursing with gerontology, and a specialty in OB/Pediatrics, community health, or mental health. Additionally, we are seeking faculty who will participate in the professional and academic work of the Health Occupations Department, the Applied Sciences Division, and the College.
Mission College is located in the heart of Silicon Valley. Our staff and faculty are among the most qualified in the state and our students appreciate the college for its friendly staff and supportive atmosphere.
Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of a culturally diverse student population are encouraged to apply.
This is a full-time, 10-month, tenure-track position that begins in Fall 2014. Instructional assignments may include theory and clinical courses in the Health Occupations Department Programs, and will include evening and weekend classes as part of the regular assignment. This position is represented by the Association of College Educators (ACE).
Work location: Mission College, Santa Clara, CA, as well as clinical agencies in the community.
1. Education – Possess one of the following:
- Masters degree in Nursing AND two years experience in the last five years; OR
- Bachelors degree in Nursing AND Masters degree in Health Education or Health Science AND two years experience in the last five years; OR
- The equivalent of the above.
2. Current valid California Board of Registered Nursing License (CA BRN)
3. Demonstrated ability to effectively work with persons of diverse socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Public Health Nurse with Home Care experience.
- Clinical experience in long-term care and home-health care in addition to acute care.
- Two years or more prior teaching experience in a diploma, associate or baccalaureate degree pre-licensure registered nursing program, OR providing in-service education, OR practice in teaching nursing as part of a course.
- Experience in clinical supervision.
- Active participation in community/professional organizations.
- Flexibility to teach in the Certified Nurse Assistant/Home Health Aide Program. This requires one year experience providing direct patient care in a long term care facility and one year experience planning, implementing, and evaluating educational programs in nursing; or full-time experience as a licensed nurse, at least one year of which is providing direct patient care in a long-term facility and the minimum of 24 hours CE course in planning, implementing, and evaluating educational programs in nursing.
- Computer skills and ability to use technology as a teaching and learning tool.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities
Instructional duties and assignments may consist of one or more of the following:
- Provide instruction for assigned courses. This includes preparation, in class activities, evaluation of students’ work, consultation with students outside of class (scheduling time beyond normal office hours if necessary), maintenance of currency in the subjects taught and other efforts related to the teaching of the assigned classes.
- Maintain accurate class and other records conforming to state requirements and stated district and college needs.
- Submit, when due, all necessary reports, such as attendance, grade reports, rosters, class and office schedules.
- File course outline for each course with the appropriate division offices.
- Post and maintain office hours each week in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement. Office hours must be posted and filed in the division chair’s office on or before the start of the semester. Office hours must be scheduled in no less than 30-mintue segments.
- Provide each student with a written course syllabus as per instructions in the Faculty handbook at the beginning of the course.
- Refer students to appropriate college sources for information on counseling and other student services.
- Assist students by providing advice on requirements for successful achievement in the member’s area of expertise.
- Observe, support and enforce the regulations, policies and programs of the District and College.
- Work cooperatively within the college community.
- Foster an environment that protects academic freedom within the college community.
- Foster a positive working environment that is free from harassment, prejudice, and/or bias.
- Demonstrate positive communication skills within the college community.
- Demonstrate a respect for the dignity of each individual.
- Assume institutional responsibilities, which are of value to the department, division, college and/or district such as: actively participate in the spirit of shared governance in department, division, college, and district institutional responsibilities. Such responsibilities may include recruitment and hiring, class schedule preparation, budget development, performance appraisals, mentorship, supervision of support staff, student recruitment and retention, curriculum and program development, and evaluation, program review, club advising, committees, accreditation, articulation and other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Abilities
Salary and Benefits
- Anticipated Hiring Range: $48,891 to $76,087 annually, is based on academic achievement, teaching and related experience.
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee and dependents, to include domestic partner.
- Employer paid long term disability for employee.
- Voluntary life insurance.
- Sabbatical, Rejuvenation and Retraining Leaves.
- Banked leave provisions.
- Professional Growth and Development activities.
- 10 days sick leave accrued annually; personal necessity and catastrophic leave.
- Conference leaves.
- Opportunity for overload assignments.
- Cal STRS Retirement.
- Position is union affiliated with required dues.
- Interested applicants must submit online all materials requested, including:
(1) A completed online West Valley-Mission Community College District application; (2) Resume; (3) Transcripts – (unofficial or official copies) for stated degrees having the degree confer/award dates circled. Official transcripts will be required prior to employment start date should the position be offered. (4) District Equivalency Application, if applicable; and (5) Any requested licenses or certificates, if applicable.
- All sections of the online application, including Education and Educational Work History, must be completed thoroughly.
- Supervisor(s) name(s) and telephone numbers must be included in the application.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Do NOT send unrequested materials. Unrequested materials will not be used for consideration of employment.
- The employment application and supporting documents represent you; it is to your advantage to fill out the application form carefully and completely.
- Degrees must have been awarded by a college or university accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Council on Post-Secondary Accreditation and/or the U.S. Department of Education.
- Candidates with degrees earned outside of the United States must provide official certification of equivalency to U. S. degrees by a certified U. S. credential review service, must have a U.S. evaluation (course by course of the transcripts) and must be submitted with this online application.
- If you do not have an electronic version of the transcript, you can get it scanned at an office supply or copy store; then attach the electronic version of your transcript to this online application.
- Copies of diplomas, grade reports, graduation petitions, transcript evaluations requests, or similar documents WILL NOT be accepted in lieu of transcripts.
For assistance, contact: West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Office of Human Resources, Attn: Recruitment
14000 Fruitvale Ave, Saratoga, CA 95070
Phone: (408) 741-2174 Fax: (408) 867-9059