Detailed Job Description
OFFICIAL TITLE: Staff Assistant, Residence Director
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Director of Residence Life and Housing
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Supervises Resident Assistants and student staff
- Responsible for the planning, organization and direction of student activities within assigned residence hall area.
- Assists in the selection of professional staff and makes recommendations for appointment and other personnel actions.
- Acts as a judicial hearing officer for the residence halls.
- Provides for the security of the residence halls and works to teach students self-responsibility within the residence halls.
- Serves as a resource/referral agent advising students as to the availability of support services within the residence halls and throughout campus.
- Responsible for the opening and closing of all residence hall facilities, room assignments, damage assessments and residence hall orientation.
- Responsible for evaluating Resident Assistant performance in the assigned area and providing recommendations for the annual rehire process.
- Provides written reports and summaries as requested by the Director and Associate Director of Residence Life and Housing.
- Responsible for overseeing the damage billing process in their assigned area each semester.
- Supervises the undergraduate Resident Assistant staff in their assigned area.
- Participates in a rotating, on-call weekend and evening duty system.
- Serves on various departmental and university committees.
- Participates in the on-site hosting of the summer conference programs.
- Assists with departmental processes such as Staff Selection, RA Development and Evaluation, Room Selection, Staff Training, etc.
- Facilitates conflict resolution between residents.
- Presents a visible and accessible image in the residence hall.
- Is available for individual/group contact and advisement.
- Winter break duty.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Completed Bachelors degree, Masters preferred. Preference will be given to those individuals with one or more years of Post-Baccalaureate experience as a live-in staff member.
- Demonstrated previous supervisory and administrative experience.
- Demonstrated experience with education, cultural and recreational programming.
- Ability to deal effectively with conflicts and crises.
- Demonstrated awareness/sensitivity toward issues pertaining to Affirmative Action and non-discrimination.
About Worcester State University
Worcester State University is a public institution of higher learning set on 58 acres in the residential west side of Worcester, Massachusetts. We are dedicated to preparing students for personal success, rewarding careers, and effective citizenship in the 21st century. We offer undergraduate and graduate degree programs in the traditional liberal arts and sciences, teacher education, biomedical sciences, business, and the health professions.
Worcester State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
If interested, apply via Institution Website button (to the right of the description) which will take you to the posting on Worcester State's website. Detailed instructions are listed there.