Detailed Job Description
FULL-TIME DIRECTOR OF FISCAL SERVICES: Administration and Finance (Non-unit Professional Position) Anticipated Start Date: June 1, 2014
The Director of Fiscal Services provides accounting, budgeting and financial reporting expertise to the college and ensures compliance with all applicable Federal, State and College regulations and policies. The Director of Fiscal Services manages non-unit professional administrators, staff accountants and support staff. He/she reports to the Vice President, Administration and Finance/CFO. The Director of Fiscal Services is responsible for overall management of the fiscal operations of the college including student accounts, budgets, general accounting, and financial reporting. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Ensures the accurate and timely processing of all accounting transactions and compliance with Federal, State, Department of Higher Education and College regulations and policies and generally accepted accounting practices.
- Prepares reports and surveys, as required by regulatory agencies; prepares annual financial statements and documents in support of the annual independent audit and other audit activities.
- Identifies and recommends policies and procedures related to the financial and business practices of the college. Plans and implements new operating procedures and information technology advances to improve service quality and efficiency of service delivery.
- Supervises non-unit professional administrators, staff accountants and support staff. He/she is a direct contributor to the daily work flow and operations of the department.
- Maintains a standard of superior service to all in the college community. He/she fosters and maintains positive relationships and works collaboratively with faculty, administrators, staff, students and vendors.
- Develops and implements short- and long-range department goals consistent with college strategic directions and senior management direction.
- Recommends and implements policies and procedures to maximize revenue and minimize expenses.
- Serves as college representative to the Community College Comptroller Council.
- Lead responsibility in maintaining Banner Finance and Finance Self- Service modules. Work in concert with the various College departments responsible for Banner modules which interface with the College’s Finance system.
- Has signatory authority for College documents such as vendor payments and MMARS documents.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Business
- Seven (7) years related financial experience of which five (5) must have been in progressive supervisory positions.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated experience and expertise in accounting, budgeting and financial reporting.
- Must be able to: research, analyze and interpret complex financial data; respond effectively to questions and prepare material in response to inquiries; make concise and effective presentations on controversial or complex topics to college management; exercise judgment and discretion as well as handle confidential information.
- Must have previous experience using production accounting and reporting application(s) and production databases and possess excellent end user computer skills, including Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- The Director of Fiscal Services must be able to step in and provide backup support in critical functions to meet and cover staff absences.
- Must be well-organized, flexible and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Assumes responsibility for other duties as directed by the Vice President of Administration & Finance/CFO
- Post- Graduate or Master’s degree in related field.
- Previous experience working in a state higher education institution or agency
- Prior experience working at a public sector agency or a large non-profit agency
- CPA or CMA combined with extensive supervisory experience
- Previous experience using Banner, PeopleSoft, Datatel, or Jenzabar accounting systems.
Salary: $80,000.00 - $95,000.00 annually, commensurate with education and experience. In addition, the college offers an outstanding fringe benefit package.
Deadline Date: Open until filled. Application review will begin April 14, 2014.
NECC is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer
Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply