Detailed Job Description
Bentley University is seeking applicants and nominations for the position of Library Director. Successful applicants will lead a team of 18 (professional librarians and staff) in identifying and developing innovations in the integration of technology, electronic resources, academic content, information literacy, and the physical space needs of students and faculty. The Bentley Library is dedicated to supporting the academic and intellectual vitality of the university community.
Bentley University is one of the nation's leading business schools, dedicated to preparing a new kind of business leader with the deep technical skills, the broad global perspective and the high ethical standards required to make a difference in an ever-changing world. Bentley blends the breadth and technological strength of a large university with the values and student focus of a small college. Students interested in business professions choose from a wide range of programs that address all functional areas including accountancy, finance, marketing, management and liberal arts all anchored in technology.
The Bentley Library operates in a state-of-the-art building centrally located at the heart of the University. It is an inviting place for research, quiet study, and collaboration. It is the hub of academic life on campus, offering a depth and breadth of print and online resources. The library staff is dedicated to assisting faculty and students in their research efforts and strives to be dynamic, innovative, and responsive to information needs. There is extensive collaboration between the Library and Bentley's Academic Technology Center (ATC), as the latter provides technical support for the library's catalog system (in the process of migrating from Innovative's Millennium to Sierra), ILL, 24 collaboration room scheduling system, public LED displays, etc.
Additional Description of Duties:
The Library Director is responsible for providing vision, strategic direction, leadership and coordination of the library's programs, services and resources; expertise in developing and implementing technological innovations; and for creating a positive and collaborative work environment among all library staff. Reporting to the University's Chief Information Officer, the Library Director advocates for and represents the library within the larger campus community and among external constituency groups and works with faculty and administration to ensure that the library supports Bentley's institutional mission.
Additional duties include:
* Develop short and long-range plans for Library operations and services
* Maintain and expand good working relationships and outreach to faculty, students, department chairs, administrators, and committee members
* encourages teamwork, diversity and professionalism, and highlights the role of the library in supporting a successful Bentley experience for students and faculty
* Manage the budget to ensure all essential services are provided, including expenditures for print and online resources, digital collections, personnel and operations
* Collaborate with the Director of Academic Technology and staff at the ATC to plan the development, implementation, and use of information technology in support of Library programs and initiatives
* Create and foster proposals for endowment, gift and grant support, and other types of fundraising to strengthen the library's resources and services, including the Bentley Archives
* Explore the greater development of formal and informal relationships (directly and through consortial agreements) with peer academic libraries and networks for mutually beneficial programs
MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited library school. Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible academic library management experience including hiring, training, and evaluating staff. Significant experience using current and emerging communication, collaboration, and other technologies that produce measurable gains in online and on-campus learning. Experience supporting faculty from an array of academic disciplines, including business and the arts and sciences, in their scholarly and curricular work
A track record of leadership in building new approaches to library services and leveraging extant technologies to do so. Demonstrated ability to bring vision, strategic thinking, and coherent planning as a leader and manager in academic organizations. Record of fostering teamwork, collegiality, relationship building, and mentoring within a library and campus environment.
A demonstrated track record as an active, visible campus citizen in promoting the library and advocating for library needs, as well as an ambassador to the external community through conference presentations and publications. Excellent working knowledge of practices and current issues in library services, including usage, facilities, technology, circulation, reference and technical services. Initiative in project management, including program development and implementation.
Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal, analytical, grant-writing, problem-solving, budget management and supervisory skills.
Commitment to providing excellent customer service
Bentley University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, building strength through diversity.