Detailed Job Description
Founded in 1863, Saint Mary's is a residential campus nestled 20 miles east of San Francisco in the picturesque Moraga Valley. Based in the Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions, Saint Mary's currently enrolls more than 4,000 students from diverse backgrounds in undergraduate and graduate programs. The De La Salle Christian Brothers, the largest teaching order of the Roman Catholic Church, guide the spiritual and academic character of the College.
As a comprehensive and independent institution, Saint Mary’s offers undergraduate and graduate programs integrating liberal and professional education. Saint Mary’s reputation for excellence, innovation and responsiveness in education stems from its vibrant heritage as a Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts institution. An outstanding, committed faculty and staff that value shared inquiry, integrative learning and student interaction bring these traditions to life in the 21st century. The College is committed to the educational benefits of diversity.
The HR Representative, Benefits and Compensation assists the Director of Benefits and the Director, Employee Relations and Compensation in coordinating the College’s benefits and compensation philosophy and administration. This function will report solid line to both the HR Director of Benefits and to the Director of Employee Relations and Compensation. This position provides key HR Generalist and administrative support to the Saint Mary's College Community by identifying, communicating, and resolving benefits and compensation opportunities within a framework of established policies and procedures.
Major Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Benefits Administration: Works with new and current employees to describe benefit options and enroll or change their coverage. Provides high level of customer service to employees and outside benefit plan administrators in person,via telephone and email. Handles sensitive and confidential information and documents. Supports other HR areas and HR Office and works in a collaborative and culturally diverse environment. Responsible for benefits in absence of Director of Benefits.
- Compensation Administration: Provide assistance to the Director of Employee Relations and Compensation on compensation related analysis. Examples may include conducting compensation analysis, assessment of job descriptions (PSD's), staff pay grades and other compensation analysis. Prepare reports as required. Assist with special projects to include support of workforce planning, consultation and training related to college policies, procedures, and practices, etc.
- HR Generalist: Provides HR Representative / HR Generalist duties in collaboration with and at the direction of the Director, Benefits and the Director of ER & Compensation. Work with respective HR Directors to provide school and department HR generalist duties, i.e., perform orientation and consultation around the successful use of NeoGov, faculty contracts, footprints, Datatel, background checks, I-9's, W-4's, on-line benefits, etc.. This role will not be responsible for in-depth knowledge of these HR functions, but will have a broad general understanding and articulation of the work.
- Systems: Demonstrates knowledge of database and processing systems-Works extensively in Datatel Colleague HR system entering, retrieving, correcting, developing reports related to benefits, compensation, and other HR generalist areas. Works significantly with Word and Excel and uses Powerpoint.
- Billing: Maintains benefits invoices-Audits benefits vendors' invoices for more than 500 employees in 20 different plans ensuring accuracy and timely payment. Works with these vendors to resolve employee benefit problems and discrepancies in billing.
- Workers Compensation: Administers Worker's Compensation- Responds to work related injuries in a timely manner. Reports claims to the insurance reporting center and maintains employees files. First point of contact within the Human Resources Department. Reports all injuries to the Director of Benefits.
- Open Enrollment: Coordinates Open Enrollment-Coordinates the procedures and production of Open Enrollment with the Director of Benefits and the College's benefits broker. First point of contact in assisting current employees in making changes to existing coverage or processing new enrollments. Ensures these changes are processed correctly in the database.
- Professional Development: Attends workshops and meetings for professional development and coordinates and participates in campus events.
Experience and Qualifications:Education and Experience: BA in Human Resources +3 years of benefits, compensation, HR experience and/or a combination of education and experience in a higher education or related setting.
Skills/Abilities: Experience working with an HRIS system/database, Miscrosoft Word and Excel; Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills and customer service.
- Results orientation
- Interpersonal skills
- Ability to make and implement difficult decisions
- Ability to demonstrate empathy
- Persuasive speaking and writing skills
- Analytical skills
- Negotiation skills
- Systems thinking
- Applied knowledge of HR principles, methods, and related laws/regulations
Depends on Qualifications
Application Instructions: Please apply on-line at http://jobs.stmarys-ca.edu. 1) Include a cover letter that specifically addresses how you meet the qualifications and are prepared to support the mission of the College2) A resume 3) The name and contact information for three (3) professional references. Candidates who become finalists will be expected to sign a consent authorizing a broader inquiry which may include reference checks, a motor vehicle check, and a third party background check.Saint Mary's is an equal employment opportunity employer. We support inclusive excellence and are committed to creating a safe and welcoming community for all.