Detailed Job Description
OFFICAL TITLE: Staff Assistant/ Nursing Lab Coordinator
SUPERVISON RECIEVED: Associate Dean for Nursing
SUPERVISON EXCERCISED: Supervises designated Graduate Assistants or work study students. Supervises students referred to the Nursing Laboratory by faculty.
- Identifies, establishes, and evaluates goals and plans in conjunction for the Nursing Laboratories and Simulation Center and related resources.
- Consults with classroom and clinical faculty in planning, conducting and evaluating students' Nursing Laboratories and Simulation Center experiences.
- Coordinates master schedule of activities in all labs with faculty and discusses with/reports issues to course coordinators and weekly activity report to chair
- Teaches in Nursing Laboratories and Simulation Center
- Develops, produces and sets up lab modules for student instruction for undergraduate and graduate programs.
- Maintains records of student laboratory participation and activities
- Develops various learning materials to enhance student learning.
- Collaborates with associate dean, chair, course coordinators and faculty to obtain various educational resources for the Nursing Programs such as software, videos, audio programs and laboratory/medical supplies, equipment and models.
- Maintains an organized, appealing environment in the Nursing Laboratories and Simulation Center to enhance student learning.
- Maintains an inventory of nursing/computer laboratories software, videos, audio programs and laboratory/medical supplies, equipment and models.
- Provides remedial instruction to students experiencing targeted deficiencies in clinical or didactic areas.
- Evaluates Nursing Resource and Simulation Center resources and services and prepares reports as requested.
- Orients new faculty / staff / students to the Nursing Resource and Simulation Center resources and services.
- Facilitates utilization of instructional technology by students and faculty
- Assists associate dean in writing grant proposals to fund purchase of Nursing Resource and Simulation Center resources and seeks donations of equipment, supplies and resources.
- Conducts regular, posted open office hours each week for student extra help and tutoring. Hours will be scheduled according to direction from the chair.
- Coordinates math/med administration component of nursing courses.
- Provides math/med instructional sessions and individual tutoring.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists with the collection and analysis of outcome data for the nursing programs.
- Corrects scanned testing materials, maintains test scanner, orients faculty to the equipment and assists with interpretation of item analysis
- Schedules and Oversees ATI activities across levels including, but not limited to, exam and room scheduling, student payments and learning resource distribution.
- Assists faculty with proctoring of final examinations
- Maintains partnership with health care agencies relative to simulation activities
- Communicates with clinical faculty in conjunction with Course Coordinators relative to Nursing Lab and Simulation Center activities.
- Meets weekly with department chair and with others as directed by the chair.
- Collaborates with UTS to convert holdings to streaming video to support web-enhanced, blended and online programming
- Supervises Graduate Assistants and Work-study students
- Participates in writing self-study report for accreditation and regulatory agencies.
- Attends Nursing Faculty Organization meetings and workshops as requested by the chair.
- Participates in student recruitment activities
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Competency with nursing technology and nursing education experience with students.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills of various computer software programs used in the nursing education and the nursing laboratory setting.
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple tasks.
- Effective interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively with students, faculty, staff, and others.
- Ability to establish positive public relations for the University.
- Current unencumbered licensure to practice professional nursing in Massachusetts.
- A master's degree in nursing with strong medical-surgical experience
- Knowledge of educational technology with emphasis on nursing education
- Current and unencumbered license to practice as a registered nurse in Massachusetts and CPR certification, ACLS and PALS preferred.
- One to three years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Specialized knowledge:
- Knowledge of equipment and latest nursing technology.
- Operating knowledge of supply ordering process, receiving and processing equipment and supplies.
- Advanced technology expertise.
- Commitment to the concepts of innovation and excellence in nursing education is required.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills required.
PERFORMANCE MEASURE & STANDARDS
- Effectively coordinates Nursing Skills Laboratory to meet curriculum needs:
- Develops supportive teaching tools (i.e. posters, handouts, clinical simulations, games, etc.) to assist student learning.
- Supports faculty with laboratory instruction.
- Provides a laboratory environment conducive to student learning activities.
- Develops, reviews and revises, in collaboration with faculty, policies and procedures related to the safe usage of equipment and lab space.
- Assists faculty with feedback and evaluation of activities and procedures in the lab.
- Serves as resource to faculty during course planning. • Organizes use of Nursing lab space, equipment & supplies with considerations from faculty.
- Assists students in critical thinking to relate theory to clinical.
- Coordinates and assists in the integration of technology into the simulation lab.
- Oversees remediation exercises for identified students in coordination with faculty.
- Maintains inventory of supplies for nursing labs by:
- Coordinates the ordering supplies upon request of faculty.
- Maintains the physical environment, including repair of equipment and laundry needs.
- Maintains current record of expenditures and budget balance.
- Keeps inventory updated and in stock.
- Communicates to the appropriate supervisor or manager (e.g., associate dean or chair) regarding operational policies and procedures.
- Supervises nursing lab assistants (e.g., work study students or volunteers) in a manner that assures that services will be rendered effectively by:
- Participates in selection of qualified applicants for student lab assistant work study positions.
- Provides orientation, training, and guidance for student lab assistant/work study
- Evaluates overall operations of skills lab activities/hours etc.
- Coordinates and maintains work schedules.
- Provides guidance to student assistants.
- Supports university operations.
- Participates in assessment plan, accreditation and regulatory report preparation and grant application activities
- Attends university functions.
- Attends university educational programs.
- Maintains records documenting the usage of pharmacy supplies in the nursinglabs to ensure compliance with the Massachusetts Board of Pharmacy.
- Attends meetings as needed.
- Supports the university in meeting operational goals.
- Ensure Lab is in compliance with all regulatory body mandates including OSHA.
- Facilitates grant submission to support innovations in the lab.
- Other duties as assigned by the Associate Dean for Nursing and Nursing Dept Chair.
- Demonstrates service excellence.
- Treats all persons with compassion, care, courtesy and respect.
- Respects privacy/dignity of others.
- Takes time to be helpful.
- Responds in a timely fashion to student, staff and faculty requests.
- Communicates effectively.
- Projects a professional image in attire, appearance and behavior.
- Deals with difficult situations effectively.
- Demonstrates teamwork and flexibility.
- Acts as role model when facilitating student learning.
About Worcester State University
Worcester State University is a public institution of higher learning set on 58 acres in the residential west side of Worcester, Massachusetts. We are dedicated to preparing students for personal success, rewarding careers, and effective citizenship in the 21st century. We offer undergraduate and graduate degree programs in the traditional liberal arts and sciences, teacher education, biomedical sciences, business, and the health professions.
The Skills Lab Coordinator acts as a liaison with the administration, faculty and students in providing Skills lab services to fulfill the needs of the nursing curriculum. Reports to and operates under the direction and supervision of the Associate Dean for Nursing. Responsible for coordinating the use of the simulation technology in the skills lab to assist the nursing students in critical thinking and applying the theory to clinical. Responsible for the updating and maintenance of the Skills labs, develops and implements plans, policies and procedures for the Skills labs, supervises Nursing Lab student assistants, maintains the appropriate inventory for the nursing laboratories and schedules lab practice rooms.
WORKING CONDITIONS/MENTAL & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Working conditions are generally good and physical hazards are minimal.
- Position requires much mental activity, study, reading, planning, evaluating and decision making.
- Moderate physical demands made in placement and distribution of equipment.
- Work requires flexible scheduling to meet the needs of the nursing program and students.
- Work requires the use of specialized equipment and computer terminal.
Worcester State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
If interested, apply via Institution Website button (to the right of the description) which will take you to the posting on Worcester State's website. Detailed instructions are listed there.