Unfortunately, this job is expired as of 2/20/2014.
To continue in your search through the appropriate job categories, click either Administrative Staff, Higher Education Executives, Faculty, Post-Doc and Graduate Assistants, . You can also utilize "guess-free" keyword search tools with up to eight pre-defined criteria. Search for and Apply to academic postings directly from the site. Post your background either confidentially or overtly. Stand out and be discovered!
MONTEREY PENINSULA COLLEGE
invites applications for the position of:
Hospitality & Restaurant Management Instructor (Full Time, Tenure Track, Fall 2014)
SALARY: $48,292.00 - $70,474.00 Annually
OPENING DATE: 12/17/13
CLOSING DATE: 02/20/14 05:00 PM
The ideal candidate will have a broad background in hospitality, including experience in hotel operations, restaurant management, event planning, and tourism. Teaching assignments will include a combination of lectures, labs and online hospitality classes for occupational and/or transfer-level students such as Lodging Operations, Food & Beverage Service Management, Customer Service, and Event Planning. As the Department Chair, this individual will also provide academic and administrative leadership for the hospitality and restaurant management program. The candidate will be expected to create and develop partnerships with the local hospitality industry.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
As a fulltime faculty member in the Life Sciences Division the successful candidate will also:
· Oversee and manage the teaching kitchen.
· Work with Cooperative Work Experience Education (COOP) Program Coordinator to create internships and work experience opportunities for students in the hospitality industry.
· Manage and/or assist with special projects, recruitment initiatives, and campus events including, but not limited to orientation programs, open houses, MPC foundation events, and community service activities.
· Be the liaison with the Monterey County Hospitality Association (MCHA) and the American Hospitality & Lodging Association (AH&LA) on professional certifications for students.
· Engage in activities that enhance the department’s rapport with area high schools, colleges and businesses.
· Implement hybrid and online delivery of hospitality classes.
· Use and develop a variety of effective teaching and assessment methods including the use of computers and information technology to engage student interest and support a variety of learning styles.
· Evaluate student work using clear criteria relevant to the course content and student learning objectives.
· Maintain and submit accurate records according to published deadlines (i.e., grades, syllabi, census reports).
· Participate in the hospitality (HOSP) & Family and Consumer Sciences (FACS) department schedule development process.
· Develop curriculum, student learning outcomes (SLOs) and participate in the program review processes for hospitality.
· Participate in faculty recruitment.
· Hold required office hours and participate in division meetings.
· Carry out collegial responsibilities including, but not limited to, institutional committee assignments, student recruitment and retention, and participation in shared governance committees and campus life activities.
· Communicate and work cooperatively with colleagues (within discipline and college- wide) on matters regarding course offerings, programs, and activities that would enhance the development of the department and college.
· Continue professional development and remain current in the field through course work, conferences, workshops, and other appropriate means.
· Perform duties described in Board policy, the Faculty Handbook, the MPCTA Contract, and as assigned at the Monterey campus, the Education Center at Marina, and/or other designated locations.
Bachelor's degree AND two (2) years of work experience in the field OR
Associate's degree AND six (6) years of work experience in the field OR
CA Community College Teaching Credential (valid for life) in the discipline. (NOTE: Credentials are no longer issued by the State, however if you earned one previously, it is still honored)
The equivalent. To select outstanding faculty members from the largest possible pool of qualified applicants, Monterey Peninsula College recognizes that candidates may have attained expertise through a variety of means. Certain combinations of education, experience, and other accomplishments may be judged by the District as equivalent to the above qualifications for this position. Candidates who feel they possess such equivalent qualifications are encouraged to download and complete an equivalency application from the employment web page and submit/attach the completed form to the employment application along with appropriate documentation of your qualifications;
Commitment to community college goals/objectives of providing quality programs and services for culturally, socio-economically, ethnically, and academically diverse students and students with disabilities; personal qualities to work effectively and with sensitivity in a multicultural environment; awareness of and commitment to the needs of non-traditional and/or re-entry students with diverse abilities and interests.
Personal and Professional Qualities:
1. Knowledge of and commitment to community college teaching.
2. Excellent interpersonal skills.
3. Ability to work with community groups and campus organizations.
4. Effective oral and written communication skills.
5. Ability to meet the needs of community college learners with diverse backgrounds and a wide range of skills and goals.
6. Demonstrated leadership skills.
7. Demonstrated ability and desire to work collegially.
8. Interest in developing online classes.
1. Demonstrated ability to teach a broad hospitality, restaurant management and tourism curriculum at the community college level.
2. Experience in a supervisory role.
3. Commitment to developing connections and relationships with members of the local
4. Willingness and ability to work cooperatively with colleagues on matters regarding course offerings, programs, and activities that would promote hospitality, restaurant
management and tourism as a field of study.
5. Possess a vision for the program development and long-term growth that will enrich the college and the community that it serves.
Completed application packets must be submitted by 5:00 pm, Thursday, February 20, 2014. Monterey Peninsula College reserves the right to close, continue, cancel, postpone or restart the recruitment at any time.
To be considered for review, applicants must submit the following application materials:
Completed Online District Application including the Diversity Statement and Supplemental Questions;
A Cover letter addressing the listed desirable qualifications and personal and professional qualities (attached as a .pdf);
Résumé or Curriculum Vitae (attached as a .pdf);
Transcripts from accredited colleges of Bachelor’s degree and all advanced degrees and coursework (attached as a .pdf). Foreign transcripts must be evaluated by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (http://www.aacrao.org/) at the applicant’s expense;
Three (3) current letters of professional recommendation specific to your application. One of these letters must be from a recent (current or former), immediate supervisor (attached as separate .pdf files; one file per letter);
ASSIGNMENT A- Write an essay describing your vision for the growth of the Hospitality Program at MPC, including your thoughts on how the Hospitality Program can thrive within the campus community AND as part of the broader hospitality and tourism industry on the Monterey Peninsula. (limited to 500 words, attached as a .pdf)
ASSIGNMENT B- The hospitality program is aspiring to offer online instruction. In reviewing our course catalog, please list and justify which courses you have determined to be appropriate for this mode of instruction. Then select one of these courses to describe your specific approach to distance education. (limited to 500 words, attached as a .pdf)
To apply for this position, please go to http://www.mpc.edu/employment and click on the link for “Full Time Faculty and Administrator Positions” there you will find the listing for this position. Click on the job title for full details about the position. Additionally you will see an “apply” button on the right hand side.
You will be required to create a user account. If you already have a user account with another NeoGov employer, you will be able to use your existing account log-in information. Please complete all the required components of the application including uploading of your transcripts and various other documents. Only fully completed applications will be considered.
Only items listed above will be reviewed by the screening committee. Additional documents that were not requested, will NOT be forwarded to the committee. Failure to follow the directions listed above may result in your disqualification.
For questions regarding this recruitment or problems applying online, please contact:
Kali F. Viker, M.S.
Human Resources Department
Monterey Peninsula College
980 Fremont Street
Monterey, CA 93940
Telephone: (831) 646-3038
Text Teletype: (831) 645-1319
For more information and to apply, visit http://apptrkr.com/422061
You were inactive for over twenty minutes. To protect you, we have logged you out. Any unsaved data has been lost.