Detailed Job Description
West Valley College is now accepting applications for a pool of qualified persons interested in part-time teaching assignments in music. Areas of assignment may include classroom teaching and/or coaching in one or more of the following courses:
- Vocal Jazz
- Jazz Improvisation
- Jazz Piano
- Jazz Guitar
- Music Theory
- Baritone or Tenor Voice
- Music Production
- Recording Arts
- Music Business
- Music Technology
Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, ability, and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of a linguistically and culturally diverse student population are encouraged to apply.
Assignment may include day and/or evening classes, Mondays thru Saturdays as needed during spring, summer, fall, and/or winter sessions. This recruitment process is to pre-qualify you for possible future assignments. Successful completion will result in your name joining a pool of instructors qualified to teach music courses for West Valley College. As an assignment becomes available, you may be contacted to determine if you are available to teach.
Work location: West Valley College, Saratoga, CA.
- Master’s degree in music; OR
- Bachelor’s degree in music AND Master’s degree in humanities; OR
- Possess a valid California Community College Instructor’s credential in music; OR
- The equivalent of the above; AND
- Demonstrated ability to effectively teach, counsel or work with persons of diverse socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Degrees must be obtained from an accredited institution.
- Candidates with degrees not identical to the required state or local qualifications must apply for equivalency by completing the equivalency form which is part of the application package. This form must be completed for employment consideration.
- Candidates with foreign degrees must provide official certification of equivalency to U.S. degrees by a certified U.S. credential review service. Simple translation of the language on foreign diplomas, transcripts, coursework, or similar will NOT suffice; thus, will cause the application packet to be judged as incomplete.
- Successful experience teaching or coaching in your concentration at a high school, community college or four-year institution.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is based on a percentage of workload up to a maximum of 67% (percent). Salary is prorated based on a minimum salary range of $18,261 – $21,688; maximum earnable up to $29,559.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- To be considered an applicant for a position at West Valley-Mission Community College District, all materials requested in the job announcement must be received no later than the deadline.
- Incomplete and/or late applications will not receive committee consideration.
- If transcripts are required, include copies of ALL college transcripts with your application to verify all degrees earned and college coursework taken. Certified copies are only required at time of hire.
- Copies of diplomas, grade reports, graduation petitions, transcript evaluations requests, or similar documents WILL NOT be accepted in lieu of transcripts.
- Foreign transcripts and degrees require official certification of equivalency to U.S. transcripts and degrees by a certified U.S. review service at the time of application.
- DO NOT SEND unrequested materials. Unrequested materials will not be used for consideration of employment.
- The employment application and supporting documents represent you; it is to your advantage to fill out the application form carefully and completely.