Detailed Job Description
Founded in 1863, Saint Mary's is a residential campus nestled 20 miles east of San Francisco in the picturesque Moraga Valley. Based in the Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions, Saint Mary's currently enrolls more than 4,000 students from diverse backgrounds in undergraduate and graduate programs. The De La Salle Christian Brothers, the largest teaching order of the Roman Catholic Church, guide the spiritual and academic character of the College.
As a comprehensive and independent institution, Saint Mary’s offers undergraduate and graduate programs integrating liberal and professional education. Saint Mary’s reputation for excellence, innovation and responsiveness in education stems from its vibrant heritage as a Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts institution. An outstanding, committed faculty and staff that value shared inquiry, integrative learning and student interaction bring these traditions to life in the 21st century. The College is committed to the educational benefits of diversity.
Saint Mary’s College of California invites applications for a full time Director of Residential Experience in the division of Student Life. Student Life at Saint Mary’s College is characterized by a commitment to the development of the whole student in an engaged learning community.
This atmosphere is supported by a dynamic team of residential staff, a student programming body, and a variety of campus partners who support Living Learning Community programs.
1. Supervise, train and evaluate staff members within the Residential Experience. Supervise the Coordinator of Residential Experience professional staff position. Manage the staffing and programming for a residential population of approximately 1,700 students residing in 22 residence halls. Oversee undergraduate student resident advisor program. Manage resident director program (resident directors are full time faculty, staff or Christian Brothers living within the residence halls). Provide professional development opportunities for residential staff.
2. Develop and implement a vision that focuses on intentionally and successfully transitioning and progressing students throughout their residential experience, and promoting student growth and learning. Initiate and coordinates program assessment, policy development, and evaluation for all supervised areas. Create annual goals and objectives, learning outcomes, and provide reports to the Associate Dean of Students.
3. Coordinate and oversee the recruitment, selection, hiring and training of the resident directors. Coordinate and oversee the recruitment, selection, hiring and training of the resident advisors.
4. Collaborate closely with Director of Campus Housing & Conference Services on facilities renovations and work. Collaborate closely with Coordinator of Community Life on student issues and conduct within residence halls. Maintain critical partnerships with Campus Housing, New Student and Family Programs, Community Life, and other Student Life personnel.
5. Assist with coordination of current and further development of student leadership programs, including the Exploring Leadership (.25) academic course. Frequently interact with students about the campus, assume a regular presence at campus programs and activities.
6. Other Duties: Coordinate and collaborate with participating campus partners in residential Living Learning Communities. Enhance and further develop Living Learning Communities programs through connecting residential student life with campus departments, with an emphasis on academic programs and connections.
Experience and Qualifications:
Required: Masters Degree
Experience: 5 Years
• Have sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic background of the College community.
• Understanding of information technology as applied to a residential system.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to set priorities, balance competing priorities and accomplish tasks effectively.
• Ability to effectively delegate and work effectively in a high pressure environment.
• Proven ability to take initiative, analyze specific problems, identify the issues, and propose solutions or make a referral to the appropriate resource.
• Superior ability to interpret broad educational issues, policies, and regulations.
• Excellent skills in recruiting, selecting, supervising, motivating and evaluating professional and student staff.
• Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in higher education student development theory, risk management and legal issues.
• Ability to relate effectively and positively with students, families, faculty, staff and guests of the College.
• Demonstrated ability with Microsoft operating systems, including internet and email usage. • Fluency in Spanish is a plus.
Depends on Qualifications
Application Instructions: Please apply on-line at http://jobs.stmarys-ca.edu.1) Include a cover letter that specifically addresses how you meet the qualifications and are prepared to support the mission of the College2) A resume 3) The name and contact information for three (3) professional references. Candidates who become finalists will be expected to sign a consent authorizing a broader inquiry which may include reference checks, a motor vehicle check, and a third party background check.Saint Mary's is an equal employment opportunity employer. We support inclusive excellence and are committed to creating a safe and welcoming community for all.