Detailed Job Description
The dean of University College reports to the Vice President for Academic Affairs and serves as the principal administrator of said College. Responsibilities include personnel, general administration and management, budget, academic, and development functions. University College consists of the following units: Academic Standards, Academic Counseling Center, Basic Composition, Developmental Mathematics, College Success Studies, Student Success & Retention, Tutoring & Academic Skills Services and AA/AS degrees in University Studies. The Dean serves at the pleasure of the President.
Graduation with an earned doctorate in appropriate academic field from a regionally accredited institution plus a record of successful academic administrative experience at the level of department chair or higher for a minimum of 5 years.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated leadership ability, excellent written and oral communication skills, and excellent interpersonal relationship skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge and awareness of current issues and practices related to developmental education and academic support programming.
- Demonstrated organization, management, and budgeting skills.
- Commitment to the academic and educational goals of the college and university.
- Demonstrated success in teaching and scholarly activities at the college or university level sufficient for achievement of tenure. Rank of associate professor required, full professor preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity among students, faculty and staff and providing opportunities for personal growth.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and work in a collaborative team environment.
- Demonstrated practice of positive character traits: honesty, integrity, reliability, consistency and trustworthiness.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Applicant must complete a UVU executive on-line application and submit the following materials to the search committee:
Letter of interest addressing qualifications
Name, address and phone number of five professional references
Statement of academic leadership philosophy (please attach as "other" document).
- To receive full consideration for post-secondary education, please submit copies of transcripts or diploma of highest degree earned. Transcripts do not have to be official copies.
- To be considered in the first screening, the online application and required application documents (see below) must be submitted by the screening or closing date.
- Our system can only accept supplemental documents (such as cover letters or transcripts) in PDF or Word format. The file size of documents must be less than 2MB. It is strongly recommended that you take documents that are not in an electronic form and scan them into a separate black and white PDF file so you can attach them electronically to the online application. You can get help with this at a local copy center if needed.
- Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the results of a background check, which includes a credentials check, an employment check, and criminal records check. A criminal conviction is not necessarily a bar to employment.
- Application materials become the property of UVU.
- For questions contact Human Resources at HREmployment@uvu.edu.