Detailed Job Description
Under direction of the President, plan, organize, coordinate, develop, administer and evaluate the fiscal and administrative services programs, services, resources and activities c and operational planning, budget development and management, facilities planning, maintenance and rental, telecommunications services; provide leadership for faculty and staff development, skill enhancement and program improvement which integrates planning and college goals and utilizes continuous quality improvement strategies; assure that the college’s administrative functions are managed according to District policies, local, State and federal laws, and collective bargaining agreements; supervise and evaluate the performance of assigned personnel: serve as supervisor of Printing Services and of the contract relationship with the bookstore and food services; coordinate and supervise emergency preparedness (SEMS) and training.
DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS: This is an academic management position at a college, reporting directly to the President. The incumbent must have broad experience in budget management and in managing administrative services at an educational institution with a wide variety of instructional and supportive programs, resources and facilities. The Vice President, Administrative Services II provides leadership for academic and classified staff involved in the supervision and delivery of comprehensive business services for the college, and also serves as the coordinator and facilitator of college committees, councils, task forces and other work groups involved in a diversity of projects. The incumbent works closely with the President with regard to budget, planning, staff development and resource allocation in order d implements business services, college-wide data bases and systems, policies, standards, activities and legal requirements.
100% of full time, 40 hours per week, 12 months per year, with anticipated start date of January 22, 2014. Schedule may change to include some evening or weekend hours, as needed.
Work Location: West Valley College, Saratoga, CA.
Any combination equivalent to:
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education; AND
- One year of formal training or leadership experience reasonably related to the administrative assignment, preferably in a higher education setting; AND
- Demonstrated successful experience working with culturally diverse faculty, staff and community populations.
- Degrees must be earned from an accredited institution.
- Candidates with foreign degrees must provide official certification of equivalency to U.S. degrees, by a certified U.S. credential review service. Simple translation of the language on foreign diplomas, transcripts, coursework, or similar will NOT suffice, thus will cause the application packet to be judged as incomplete.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty of the position satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions required for the position.
- Plan, organize, coordinate, review and evaluate the college’s budget development and maintenance functions (other grants transferred from the District in 2000); develop and implement appropriate timelines, processes, automated systems and applications, and reporting and records maintenance activities; assure allocation of resources in accordance with State and federal laws and established District policies.
- Review reports related to the financial resources of assigned programs and services; assure that human, physical and fiscal resources are allocated efficiently and effectively; direct the timely and accurate preparation of records, reports, summaries and projections of data related to federal, State and external funding sources, community demographics, and economic trends.
- Plan, organize, coordinate, review and evaluate the college’s SEMS activities; develop and implement appropriate training and drills, purchase emergency supplies and materials; assure allocation of resources in accordance with State and Federal laws and established District polices.
- Organize, coordinate and facilitate various facilities modifications projects; provide direction and assistance as required to assure that all facility modification projects proceed steadily toward established goals and these activities do not conflict with or unnecessarily interrupt college programs and services.
- Develop and maintain college administrative regulations with regard to college facility use, fiscal management and budget implementation.
- Work closely with faculty, staff and other administrators to develop, modify and enhance the colleges enrollment management system; review and evaluate existing reports and promote improvement of data collection to meet the diverse needs of students and faculty; identify areas that need improvement and implement effective and efficient solutions.
- Provide oversight for the use and identification of needs for college facilities.
- Organize, coordinate and facilitate the rental of college facilities, develop and implement solutions to a wide variety of issues arising from the rental of the facility; provide direction and assistance as required outside charity groups to assure that their campus activities successfully meet their established goals and that their activities do not conflict.
- Serve as a member of the District’s budget leadership team and provide expertise in strategic planning, operational planning and program review to facilitate attainment of institutional goals in accordance with its educational master plan and the District’s strategic plan in coordination with the leadership of other District entities as appropriate.
- Provide direction and leadership to all faculty and staff assigned to administrative services functions, operations, and activities on a college campus; formulate, develop, implement and review a broad variety of policies, standards and outcomes to assure that fiscal and business systems and services are efficiently and effectively provided in support of the instructional and student services programs.
- Serve as a member of the President’s leadership team and provide expertise in strategic planning, operational planning and program review to facilitate attainment of institutional goals in accordance with the college’s strategic plan, its educational master plan and the District’s strategic plan; direct the development of short- and long-range operational plans for college-wide programs, services and functions in coordination with the leadership of other District entities as appropriate.
- Organize, coordinate and facilitate various councils, committees, task forces and other work groups assigned to explore, develop and implement solutions to a wide variety of issues; provide direction and assistance as required to assure that councils and committees progress steadily toward established goals and that functions do not conflict.
- Provide leadership for college-wide staff development to facilitate continuous quality improvement strategies in college programs and services; work collaboratively in the District shared governance environment to implement a comprehensive staff development program such as technology.
- In a quality and service-oriented environment, supervise personnel assignments and schedules; evaluate the performance of faculty, staff and administrators responsible for managing and implementing administrative services to support and enhance the college’s educational programs, services and facilities.
- Confer with college administrators and others regarding management issues involving administrative services of the college, including recommendations for new or revised policies and procedures; assure that all administrative services interface effectively and appropriately support the college’s educational programs and services.
- Work closely with faculty, staff and other administrators to develop, modify and enhance administrative services; review and evaluate existing functions and promote expansion of services to meet the diverse needs of students and faculty; identify areas that need improvement and implement effective and efficient solutions.
- Represent the college to local, State and federal governmental bodies and agencies involved in providing benefits, resources, services and programs for community college students; when requested, represent the college to the community, including other educational institutions, businesses and service organizations.
- Assure compliance with all applicable laws, rules, regulations and restrictions related to assigned administrative support services and activities; assure that the highest legal and ethical standards are maintained and clearly communicated to subordinate personnel.
- Work cooperatively as a member of the management staff of the college and district toward the achievement of its goals and objectives.
- Provide leadership consistent with the mission and function of the college and district.
- Recommend and implement techniques to improve department policies and practices, increase efficiency, take advantage of opportunities and maintain state-of-the-art practices, keep abreast of current trends and practices in the field.
- Maintain effective public relations with the larger community.
- Assure smooth operations within the areas of responsibility.
- Immediately report known or likely fraud, illegal acts, violation of provisions of contracts or grant agreements to the appropriate parties.
- React to change productively and handle other essential tasks as assigned.
- Select, assign, orient, train, supervise, counsel, discipline and evaluate the performance of direct subordinates; delegate the responsibility for supervision of indirect subordinates to subordinate supervisors to assure efficient and effective performance;
develop expectations for performance and standards of excellence.
- Lead or participate in District-wide or college committees, initiatives, teams or ad hoc groups; responsible and accountable for completion of assigned tasks when assigned to such a group; when chairing such a group, evaluate the performance of committee members and forward input to members’ supervisors for consideration during the performance evaluation process.
- Prepare and administer annual budgets for assigned area; review and approve expenditures according to established District policies and procedures.
- Participate in preparation of state and federal grant applications.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Listed examples may not include all tasks which may be found in the position assigned to this class.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Budget development and maintenance for an organization with multiple funding sources.
- Planning, developing, administering and evaluating comprehensive administrative services/activities at an institution of higher education.
- Use, integration and advancement of technology (e.g. telephone systems, management information systems, printing and duplicating, telephone registration, electronic storage and retrieval).
- Shared governance in an educational setting, and in creating a climate that fosters collaborative problem solving among students, faculty, staff and administration.
- Development and implementation of a broad variety of administrative support services (e.g. contract food service, facilities maintenance and rental, telecommunications services, and printing, graphics and duplicating services).
- Strategic and operational planning processes utilized at large, public sector organizations.
- Principles and practices of leadership, management and supervision.
- Local laws, State Education Code sections, federal laws and regulations governing community colleges; and District policies related to administrative services and functions.
- Contract negotiation and administration techniques.
- Multi-college district organization and operations.
- Physical plant and grounds maintenance needs of a community college, including instructional programs, student services and athletic facilities.
- General higher education trends for transfer and general education, vocational education, community education and economic development.
- Area demographics and economic conditions in the larger community.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Computer literacy, including a working knowledge of spreadsheets, word processing, data bases, email, and internet.
- Interpersonal skills including active listening, tact, diplomacy and patience.
- Provide leadership, support and direction to college administrators, faculty and classified staff assigned responsibility for budgetary processes, grounds and building maintenance, contract food service, and printing, graphics and duplicating services.
- Plan, organize, administer and evaluate the college’s administrative services, functions and activities.
- Develop, implement and promote innovative services and supportive resources integral .
- Develop, implement and evaluate the effectiveness of budget development, budget monitoring and automated reporting processes for a college operating within a multi- college district.
- Implement and integrate effective strategic planning, operational planning, program review and staff development concepts and practices.
- Work cooperatively in a shared governance environment.
- Coordinate and provide leadership for collaborative problem solving to councils, committees, task forces and teams.
- Assure compliance with local, State and federal laws related to the administrative services on a community college campus.
- Effectively delegate appropriate authority and responsibility to subordinates.
- Interact effectively with a diverse staff and community consisting of varied academic, ethnic cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Select, assign, orient, train, supervise, counsel, discipline and evaluate the performance.
- Interpret and explain District policies and legal regulations and requirements.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Utilize the computer effectively as a work tool, including spreadsheets, word processing, data bases, email, and internet.
- If chairing a committee, evaluate the performance of committee members and forward input to members’ supervisors for consideration during the performance evaluation process.
Salary and Benefits
- Anticipated Hiring Range: $9,747–$10,251 (monthly) with a maximum earnable monthly salary of $11,512.
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee and dependents, to include domestic partner.
- Employer-paid long term disability for employee.
- Voluntary life insurance.
- 13 paid holidays, plus 1 floating holiday annually; paid non-workdays between Christmas and New Year.
- 22 days vacation leave accrued annually (25 days after 5 years).
- 12 days sick leave accrued annually.
- Personal necessity leave and personal business leave.
- Professional development and renewal leave.
- $500 longevity award annually after 10 years of service and $1,000 longevity award annually after 15 years of service.
- CalSTRS retirement.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- To be considered an applicant for a position at West Valley-Mission Community College District, all materials requested in the job announcement must be received no later than the deadline.
- Incomplete and/or late applications will not receive committee consideration.
- If transcripts are required, include copies of ALL college transcripts with your application to verify all degrees earned and college coursework taken. Certified copies are only required at time of hire.
- Copies of diplomas, grade reports, graduation petitions, transcript evaluations requests, or similar documents WILL NOT be accepted in lieu of transcripts.
- Foreign transcripts and degrees require official certification of equivalency to U.S. transcripts and degrees by a certified U.S. review service at the time of application.
- DO NOT SEND unrequested materials. Unrequested materials will not be used for consideration of employment.
- The employment application and supporting documents represent you; it is to your advantage to fill out the application form carefully and completely.