Detailed Job Description
Founded in 1863, Saint Mary's is a residential campus nestled 20 miles east of San Francisco in the picturesque Moraga Valley. Based in the Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions, Saint Mary's currently enrolls more than 4,000 students from diverse backgrounds in undergraduate and graduate programs. The De La Salle Christian Brothers, the largest teaching order of the Roman Catholic Church, guide the spiritual and academic character of the College.
As a comprehensive and independent institution, Saint Mary’s offers undergraduate and graduate programs integrating liberal and professional education. Saint Mary’s reputation for excellence, innovation and responsiveness in education stems from its vibrant heritage as a Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts institution. An outstanding, committed faculty and staff that value shared inquiry, integrative learning and student interaction bring these traditions to life in the 21st century. The College is committed to the educational benefits of diversity.
Reporting to the Director of Student Engagement and Academic Success, the Administrative Assistant supports the work of the Director, the Student Engagement and Academic Success Placement Specialists and the Tutorial and Academic Skills Coordinator. Provides primary support to the following programs: the High Potential Program, the Lamont Madden Book Fund, Academic Probation Review and Success Programs, Retention Alert, Multicultural Student Outreach and Course Placement and Exploration.
- Works in a highly collaborative and culturally diverse environment and develops effective relationships with Departments, Schools, and with other areas of the College.
- Primary point of contact to greet, respond to and assist students, faculty, staff and visitors requiring a professional etiquette and communication skills to deliver quality customer service.
- Responsible for opening and closing the office M-F, with some evening and weekend hours (especially during Summer Bridge Program and Orientation).
- Coordinates all calendar needs, confirms space/rooms, and generates all contracts and technicalities for all programs within the office, for example the High Potential Program and Summer Bridge Program.
- Assist Director in the structuring, tracking and balancing of budgets
- Ensures office policies, processes and procedures are upheld; recommends and implements new and revised processes and procedures when appropriate.
Maintains department website.
- Assists the Director, the Student Engagement and Academic Success Specialists and the Tutorial and Academic Skills Coordinator in program areas support.
- Responsible for hiring, training, and supervising student workers, using appropriate student development support.
- Performs complex administrative support activities involving confidential and sensitive information and materials focusing on staff, student, and parent, guardian or family member issues.
- Responds directly to routine inquiries for information, determines when inquiries should be escalated and routed to appropriate staff; handles routine administrative tasks for all departmental functions, including phones, filing, copying, mailings, writes and edits correspondence, and edits publications and other documents as needed.
- Responsible for coordinating activities, identifying and resolving problems appropriate to the position and applying judgment and evaluation for decision-making with little or no supervision.
- Provides assistance in preparation of reports, surveys, and presentations using Datatel and other student record services; including generating and compiling data from a variety of sources to track the academic progress of students.
- Coordinate travel, calendar, and appointments for all department staff including workshops and conferences.
- Coordinates annual events, classroom and lab space with appropriate college offices and departments, including assisting with program preparation for all departmental staff
Experience and Qualifications:Minimum of (3) years of administrative and professional office support experiences in higher education or experience in a similar setting.
- Bachelor’s degree highly desirable.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and assignments, remain calm under pressure, establish priorities, and work in an organized manner with emphasis on detail and accuracy.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced, high-pressured environment that is student-centered and appreciative of a diverse community.
- High level of reliability, creativity, and commitment to maintain a high degree of confidentiality; ability to work cooperatively and effectively with all members of a culturally diverse campus community; and ability to cultivate and maintain partnerships with diverse individuals, offices, and programs.
- Demonstrated excellence in using technology and software programs such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access), File Maker Pro, e-mail, internet, and working with online programs. Mastery of excel formulas and reports highly desirable.
Spanish fluency highly desirable.
- Demonstrated experience with database management required (such as File Maker).
- Working knowledge of Datatel/Colleague, and SALLI highly desirable.
Depends on Qualifications
Application Instructions: Please apply on-line at http://jobs.stmarys-ca.edu. 1) Include a cover letter that specifically addresses how you meet the qualifications and are prepared to support the mission of the College2) A resume 3) The name and contact information for three (3) professional references. Candidates who become finalists will be expected to sign a consent authorizing a broader inquiry which may include reference checks, a motor vehicle check, and a third party background check.Saint Mary's is an equal employment opportunity employer. We support inclusive excellence and are committed to creating a safe and welcoming community for all.