Detailed Job Description
Under the direction of the Dean of the College of HSS and the Communication Department Chair:
- Teach full load of courses in the Department of Communication
- Prepare instructional materials (course outlines, syllabi, exams, etc.) as necessary
- Maintain student centered approach to education
- Provide service to the college & university (if tenure track) and/or conduct research relative to improving pedagogy or to advance knowledge in discipline
Requires a Ph.D. (or ABD), or MA with five years experience in journalism. Must have demonstrated ability teaching theoretical and skills-based courses in journalism.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
-Thorough knowledge of and demonstrated competence in Mass Communications and Journalism.
-Demonstrate experience in and willingness to provide expert classroom instruction, curriculum development, and program assessment.
-Service to the department and college through shared faculty governance, including departmental and school-wide committees.
-Research skills demonstrated through presentation of research at refereed conferences or publications in academic journals and/or books.
Selective Placement Factors
Preferred Qualifications: An ideal candidate will demonstrate proficiency in conducting mass communications research and/or service and outreach that connects the discipline to the local community.
Special Instructions to Applicants
All applicants should include a Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae, graduate transcripts, 3 letters of reference, and a Statement of Teaching Philosophy. Student evaluations and samples of scholarly work preferred.
- To be considered an applicant for employment you must apply online through the UVU.Jobs website.
- To receive full consideration for post-secondary education, please submit copies of transcripts or diploma of highest degree earned. Transcripts do not have to be official copies.
- To be considered in the first screening, the online application and required application documents (see below) must be submitted by the screening or closing date.
- Our system can only accept supplemental documents (such as cover letters or transcripts) in PDF or Word format. The file size of documents must be less than 2MB. It is strongly recommended that you take documents that are not in an electronic form and scan them into a separate black and white PDF file so you can attach them electronically to the online application. You can get help with this at a local copy center if needed.
- Letters of reference and documents that cannot be converted into PDF or Word files may be mailed to Human Resources at 800 West University Parkway Orem, UT 84058.
- Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the results of a background check, which includes a credentials check, an employment check, and criminal records check. A criminal conviction is not necessarily a bar to employment.
- Application materials become the property of UVU.
- For questions contact Human Resources at email@example.com.