Detailed Job Description
Founded in 1863, Saint Mary's is a residential campus nestled 20 miles east of San Francisco in the picturesque Moraga Valley. Based in the Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions, Saint Mary's currently enrolls more than 4,000 students from diverse backgrounds in undergraduate and graduate programs. The De La Salle Christian Brothers, the largest teaching order of the Roman Catholic Church, guide the spiritual and academic character of the College.
As a comprehensive and independent institution, Saint Mary’s offers undergraduate and graduate programs integrating liberal and professional education. Saint Mary’s reputation for excellence, innovation and responsiveness in education stems from its vibrant heritage as a Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts institution. An outstanding, committed faculty and staff that value shared inquiry, integrative learning and student interaction bring these traditions to life in the 21st century. The College is committed to the educational benefits of diversity.
ResponsibilitiesReporting to the Assistant Vice President for Finance/Controller, the Staff Accountant is a trained accountant who is responsible for reconciling the College's investments and various Balance Sheet accounts, and ensuring the College is in compliance with internal controls and external rules and regulations with regard to all financial transactions.
1. Ensures accurate processing of purchasing card and payable transactions of College in compliance with College procedures designed to comply with the Accountable Plan Rule of IRC. Imports purchasing card transactions; reviewing data to ensure accurate posting and the capture of transactions resulting in taxable fringe benefit reporting.
2. Maintains monthly/quarterly reconciliations of all investments held by the College, as well as the reconciliation and invoicing of the miscellaneous receivables due to the College, and the creation and posting of resulting journal entries to the college's General Ledger.
3. Assists departments with interpretation of financial data, resolution of posting errors, or transferring funds. Ensures campus community is in compliance with College policies and procedures.
4. Completes audit work papers for all areas of responsibility.
5. Support Payroll Manager with the calculation of overtime and entry of timesheets, faculty contracts and stipends. Develop monthly overtime reports, and distribute to departments, distribute quarterly payroll verification reports to departments on hours worked, and assist with calculation and reporting of taxable fringe benefits from cell phone allowance and tuition remission.
6. Collaborates with accounting staff and supervisor to develop, document, and implement new policies and procedures to maintain compliance with current requirements, regulations, and standards.
7. Other Duties as Assigned: Works with Accounting Manager to evaluate expense reporting on expense reports and Purchasing Cards based upon analysis of data. Provides support to Assistant Vice President for Finance and Assistant Controller as needed.
Experience and Qualifications:
REQUIRED: Bachelor's degree, or equivalent experience.
PREFERRED: Bachelor's in Accounting
Experience: (years required and applicable field of experience): Minimum of two years related experience working in higher education institution or similar setting with significant experience in general accounting, purchasing, and internal audit.
Skills/Abilities: (e.g. computer skills, written & verbal skills, trades, laws, procedures, technical) Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills; experience in using Windows operating systems, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook); knowledge of pertinent Federal Labor Standards Act, State use Tax, Nonresident Withholding, Independent Contractor Laws, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
Other Requirements: (e.g. travel, weekend/evening work) As needed.
Depends on Qualifications
Application Instructions: Please apply on-line at http://jobs.stmarys-ca.edu.1) Include a cover letter that specifically addresses how you meet the qualifications and are prepared to support the mission of the College2) A resume 3) The name and contact information for three (3) professional references. Candidates who become finalists will be expected to sign a consent authorizing a broader inquiry which may include reference checks, a motor vehicle check, and a third party background check.Saint Mary's is an equal employment opportunity employer. We support inclusive excellence and are committed to creating a safe and welcoming community for all.