Detailed Job Description
Founded in 1863, Saint Mary's is a residential campus nestled 20 miles east of San Francisco in the picturesque Moraga Valley. Based in the Catholic, Lasallian and liberal arts traditions, Saint Mary's currently enrolls more than 4,000 students from diverse backgrounds in undergraduate and graduate programs. The De La Salle Christian Brothers, the largest teaching order of the Roman Catholic Church, guide the spiritual and academic character of the College.
As a comprehensive and independent institution, Saint Mary’s offers undergraduate and graduate programs integrating liberal and professional education. Saint Mary’s reputation for excellence, innovation and responsiveness in education stems from its vibrant heritage as a Catholic, Lasallian and liberal arts institution. An outstanding, committed faculty and staff that value shared inquiry, integrative learning and student interaction bring these traditions to life in the 21st century. The College is committed to the educational benefits of diversity.
Works with the Director to ensure comprehensive delivery of quality health care for patients. Works with the Director to sustain the mission of the College, Student Life and the Health and Wellness Center. The Associate Director provides direct and indirect patient care while demonstrating a high level of concern and confidentiality. Provides direction and consultation to the Coordinator of Health Promotion and Education.
Administration and Supervision
- Determine work schedules for RN’s, NP and Administrative/Medical Assistant and manage requested time off
- Provide supervision to the RN’s and Administrative/Medical Assistant
- Assist to administer the Health and Wellness Center annual budget and determine appropriate fund allocations
- Provide direction and consultation to ensure high quality patient care and health education programs
- Assist with all aspects of the hiring process of new employees ie review applications, conduct phone interviews and arrange on site interviews for new hires.
- Order and maintain supplies, equipment, and pharmaceuticals. Obtain competitive pricing within budget guidelines
- Orientation of new employees
- Review procedures to improve patient flow
- Review and approve incoming invoices
- Attend Student Life Leader meetings or other meetings on campus as determined necessary by the Director
- Develop structure of maintaining confidential medical records
- Maintain email communications with SMC community
- Knowledge of organization of campus community
- Assist departments in the campus community with their programs as they relates to student health.
- Assess, triage and provide nursing care to all patients in a professional manner and in accordance with established departmental policies and standardized nursing procedures while maintaining strict confidentiality
- Provide patient set up and assistance for clinicians
- Oversee and monitor patients who require extended observation in the Health and Wellness Center
- Perform lab tests, blood draws, and EKG’s per clinician orders
- Administer vaccines and medications per clinician orders or standardized procedures
- Perform wound care per standardized procedures
- Initiate referrals to local physicians and other community services as appropriate
- Provide telephone advice and accurate and thorough documentation in medical records for all patient encounters
- Provide health education and promote wellness concepts with each student intervention.
- Review clinician plan care for students.
- Attend weekly Student Issues Committee meetings and initiate communication with students that are reviewed as necessary
- Review and initiate communication with students, by phone or email, when an incident report has been received from Public Safety
- Act as the contact person and liaison with outside health care providers to coordinate and collaborate student health care for students that have been referred off campus for health care. Communicate information to HWC clinicians and complete documentation in medical records
- Work closely with the Counseling Center, Athletic Department, Womens’ Resource Center, Office of Students with Disabilities and other SMC departments to ensure proper care and follow up for high risk students.
- Maintian filing system and recall of students that have ongoing medical issues and follow up in the HWC has been recommended.
- Interview and select Broker to represent the College. Act as liaison for College and Broker. Review proposals and select insurance provider.
- Negotiate terms of the annual policy with insurance company and Broker
- Implement and modify insurance plan to improve quality of benefits and claim reimbursements
- Advise Administrative Assistant in her duties and communications with the Broker and insurance company
- Advise and act as a resource to the Coordinator of Health Promotion and Education
- Refer to Health Educator for on going and disease specific health education
- Attend conferences to expand knowledge of college health nursing and administrative responsibilities. Maintain continuing education units as required to maintain current California RN license.
- Promote continuing education and professional development for all HWC staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience and Qualifications:Education : Required: BSN
Experience: Experience in health care delivery in higher education highly desired
Skills/Abilities: Triage skills, Excellent analytical, communication and verbal skills.
LIcenses and Certifications: Required: RN, CPR
Depends on Qualifications
Application Instructions: Please apply on-line at http://jobs.stmarys-ca.edu. Include a cover letter that specifically addresses how you meet the qualifications and are prepared to support the mission of the College. A complete application includes: A letter of interest and how you are prepared to support the Mission of the College A resume and an on-line application The name and contact information for three (3) professional references. Candidates who submit names of references should expect that references will be contacted, in confidence, by the College and that credentials will be confirmed prior to hire. Candidates who become finalists will be expected to sign a consent authorizing a broader inquiry. Saint Mary's is an equal employment opportunity employer. We support inclusive excellence and are committed to creating a safe and welcoming community for all.