Detailed Job Description
Founded in 1863, Saint Mary's is a residential campus nestled 20 miles east of San Francisco in the picturesque Moraga Valley. Based in the Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions, Saint Mary's currently enrolls more than 4,000 students from diverse backgrounds in undergraduate and graduate programs. The De La Salle Christian Brothers, the largest teaching order of the Roman Catholic Church, guide the spiritual and academic character of the College.
As a comprehensive and independent institution, Saint Mary’s offers undergraduate and graduate programs integrating liberal and professional education. Saint Mary’s reputation for excellence, innovation and responsiveness in education stems from its vibrant heritage as a Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts institution. An outstanding, committed faculty and staff that value shared inquiry, integrative learning and student interaction bring these traditions to life in the 21st century. The College is committed to the educational benefits of diversity
ResponsibilitiesThe Head Coach is responsible for planning, administering, and evaluating the overall operation of the athletic sport program to include, but not limited to, team performance, supporting the academic achievement of student-athletes, recruiting, program management (eligibility certification, event management, scheduling, travel planning, budget management, equipment, athletic training, etc.), college and community service, supervision of assistant coaches and program personnel, and compliance. The head coach is responsible for ensuring that team performance is competitive within the West Coast Conference with the goal of achieving postseason competition
- Organize and evaluate practices and intercollegiate competitions. Teach necessary skills from the basic fundamentals to the techniques and strategies of team play.
- Promote and foster a positive team environment, appropriate behavior, and sportsmanship by team members. Responsible for the conduct of team members both on and off the field/court.
- Promote the physical and mental well being of all program participants.
- Responsible for the academic performance of team members including graduation from the College. Support, monitor, and evaluate the academic performance of the student-athletes participating in the sport program. Be familiar with and use the academic support referral system to assist student-athletes as needed with their academic success.
- Recruit and select qualified prospects who have the ability to compete in the classroom and athletically. Actively seek out and encourage a diverse group of prospects and assist them through the application process. Work collaboratively with the Assistant Director of Athletics for Student Support Services and the Admission Office Staff to qualify and process prospects in a timely and efficient manner.
- Participate in activities to strengthen the connection between the Department of Athletics and Recreational Sports with other parts of campus. Involve your team in the life of the campus.
- Participate in activities that strengthen the relationship between the College and the community. Involve your team in the life of the community.
- Recommend to the Scheduling Coordinator (Sports Information Director) and Director an annual schedule for contests and opponents, and make arrangements for the contests as approved by the Scheduling Coordinator and Director.
- Recommend an annual budget to the Director and function within the parameters of the approved budget allocation.
- Work with the Assistant Director of Athletics for Business and Finance to plan and administer team travel arrangements to include transportation, meals, and lodging as approved by the Assistant Director of Athletics for Business and Finance.
- Collaborate with and assist the Assistant Director of Athletics for Marketing and Media Relations and the Sports Information Director with statistical, promotional, and public relations needs for the sport and the department. Provide specific information on student-athletes and coaching staff.
- Assist with alumni events, fund raising, and promotional events as requested. Attend events as requested, fulfill speaking engagements and generally support athletic fund raising. All fund raising activities must be approved by the Director of Athletics and the Vice President for Planning and Advancement and be in compliance with College, NCAA, and West Coast Conference rules and guidelines.
- Maintain communication and cooperate with the Head Athletic Trainer and Team Physicians regarding establishing medical eligibility, injuries, and the general health of all student-athletes.
- Collaborate with the Equipment Manager to order, inventory, and care for all athletic equipment and uniforms.
- Assist Director, Faculty Athletic Representative, representatives from the Registrar’s Office, and Assistant Director of Athletics for Student Support Services with compiling eligibility data as needed.
- Schedule facility and game management needs for the sport program with the Assistant Director of Athletics for Game Operations and Summer Camps.
- Set priorities for, supervise, and evaluate the day-to-day activities of assistant coaches, graduate assistants, team managers and other personnel assigned to the sport program. Delegate authority and responsibility to assistant coaches, graduate assistants, managers, and captains. Provide an annual written evaluation of assistant coaches and graduate assistants to the Director.
- Know, recognize, and comply with the laws, policies, rules, and regulations governing the College and its employees, and the rules of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (including, but not limited to, NCAA Bylaw, Article 11 and its requirement to report all athletically-related income and benefits from sources outside of the College to the President) and of the West Coast Conference as now constituted or as may be amended in the future. Supervise and ensure that any assistants and any other employees and/or volunteers for which you are administratively responsible comply with the aforesaid policies, rules and regulations. Immediately advise the Director of Athletics and Recreational Sports if you have reasonable cause to believe violations, whether by employees or students, have occurred or will occur.
Experience and Qualifications:
This description refers to the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty of the named position and is not meant to be duty or responsibility specific or to exclude duties not mentioned. The supervisor has the right to assign, direct, or control the work activity of the Department.
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's Degree preferred.
- Three to five years of relevant experience as a head or assistant coach at the College level.
- Proficiency with word-processing software and database management.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to effectively communicate with a diverse community of students, faculty, coaches, administrators, and staff.
- Ability to represent the Department and the College to off-campus constituencies, including alumni, friends, corporate partners, and donors.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use discretion.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to handle multiple, competing tasks, and priorities.
- Team-oriented individual with ability to take initiative.
- Understanding and supportive of the values and ideals of the Lasallian, Catholic, and liberal arts tradition.
Depends on Qualifications
Application Instructions: Please apply on-line at http://jobs.stmarys-ca.edu.1) Include a cover letter that specifically addresses how you meet the qualifications and are prepared to support the mission of the College2) A resume 3) The name and contact information for three (3) professional references. Candidates who become finalists will be expected to sign a consent authorizing a broader inquiry which may include reference checks, a motor vehicle check, and a third party background check.Saint Mary's is an equal employment opportunity employer. We support inclusive excellence and are committed to creating a safe and welcoming community for all.