Unfortunately, this job is expired as of 11/18/2013.
To continue in your search through the appropriate job categories, click either Administrative Staff, Higher Education Executives, Faculty, Post-Doc and Graduate Assistants, . You can also utilize "guess-free" keyword search tools with up to eight pre-defined criteria. Search for and Apply to academic postings directly from the site. Post your background either confidentially or overtly. Stand out and be discovered!
Under the direction of the Assistant Director of the Academic Counseling Center (ACC), advises new, prospective, and transfer students, specifically in pre-health professions offered at UVU and/or other Universities. This includes developmental and career advising as well as helping students develop an educational plan towards application to their chosen health education and training program.
Essential Functions, Major Duties, and/or Accountabilities:
1. Responds to informational requests from potential students, staff, high school counselors and others interested in Utah Valley University and create/update informational materials pertaining to the various health professions being sought by students.
2. Interprets and explains UVU's policies and procedures to advisees.
3. Provides information, assistance and referrals to student support services to assist advisees in managing their college experience, including internships and research opportunities.
4. Maintains a case load of incoming and continuing undergraduate students and student advising records using computer applications relevant for file maintenance and organization of case load.
5. Counsels students regarding the development of meaningful educational plans and academic major and emphasis selection which are compatible with their life goals.
6. Advises pre-health professional students on completing prerequisite requirements that will best prepare them for their chosen field.
7. Provides accurate program information to continuing and prospective students in person, via telephone and email and on site at UVU.
8. Assists students with the enrollment and registration process.
9. Interprets test scores and assists student in appropriate course placement.
10. Reviews post-secondary institution unofficial transcripts and prior academic history. Retains current students and aids in the transition through higher education for new students.
11. Serves as a member of the Advisement Forum and attend and participate in meetings, activities and events of the forum. Represents the department on any relevant University committees, departmental committees or professional associations/organizations as needed and/or assigned.
12. Consults with faculty and staff in order to provide accurate information concerning program changes, assessment guidelines, course and instructor information, transfer issues, scholarships and appropriate referrals. Also advocates and problem solves with faculty, administration and staff on student academic problems, issues and concerns.
13. Organizes, coordinates or assists in managing a number of undergraduate student programs or events, including conducting classes or workshops as needed related to pre-health information, coordination of shadowing program and managing letter service for premed and pre-dental students.
14. Assesses and counsels clients in the interpretation of career and vocational instruments towards selection of alternative majors and careers if necessary.
15. Helps make students aware of and assists them in meeting non-academic requirements and other factors that will increase their level of competitiveness in the eyes of professional school admission committees.
16. Maintains a database of UVU graduates' professional school admission and rejections along with MCAT, DAT, GRE and other health professions school admission test scores to provide feedback to support departments and programs for program assessment and effectiveness.
17. Assist students through the application process of health professions schools including editing personal statements, managing and writing letters of recommendation, presenting application workshops and mock interviews.
You were inactive for over twenty minutes. To protect you, we have logged you out. Any unsaved data has been lost.