Detailed Job Description
Founded in 1863, Saint Mary's is a residential campus nestled 20 miles east of San Francisco in the picturesque Moraga Valley. Based in the Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions, Saint Mary's currently enrolls more than 4,000 students from diverse backgrounds in undergraduate and graduate programs. The De La Salle Christian Brothers, the largest teaching order of the Roman Catholic Church, guide the spiritual and academic character of the College. As a comprehensive and independent institution, Saint Mary’s offers undergraduate and graduate programs integrating liberal and professional education. Saint Mary’s reputation for excellence, innovation and responsiveness in education stems from its vibrant heritage as a Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts institution. An outstanding, committed faculty and staff that value shared inquiry, integrative learning and student interaction bring these traditions to life in the 21st century. The College is committed to the educational benefits of diversity.
ResponsibilitiesReporting to the Coordinator of Reference Services and working closely with the Instruction Team Leader, this position provides instruction and reference services to the Saint Mary's Community. This position is a 9-month career appointment.
1. Information Literacy Instruction Services:
Serves as primary coordinator and instructor for the College’s Freshmen English Composition Courses and the First Year Academic Cohort (FYAC) classes’ Library introduction sessions.
- a. Under the direction of the Instruction Team Leader, contacts Faculty Program Coordinators and individual faculty teaching in these programs to coordinate and schedule sessions. While this position is expected to be the “first responder” for section/class instruction for these programs, this individual will also coordinate with instruction team librarians to fill instructional needs.
- b. Takes a leadership role in working with instruction team librarians to plan instructional content, activities, and assessment methods for these programs. Initially, this will include working with Instruction Team Leader, instruction librarians, English Department faculty and other campus stakeholders, to incorporate and implement information literacy objectives into the new Core Curriculum, with a focus on the English Composition program
- c. If time permits, provides instruction in other courses and venues.
- d. Collects and analyzes statistics and works with the Library administrative assistants to ensure adequate instruction room availability and that the instruction room equipment, computers, etc., are in good working order.
- e. Stays abreast of innovations and best practices in teaching and particularly in teaching information literacy skills. Models innovation in this area and collaborates in innovative approaches with the teaching librarians.
- f. Actively participates in the work of the Instruction Team and assists the Instruction Team Leader to assemble and write the Instruction Annual Report.
2. Reference Services:
Serves as a member of the Reference/Research Services Team:
- a. Provides research advice and assistance in person and via telephone, email, instant messaging and text messaging to all Saint Mary’s College students, faculty, and staff, as well as non-College users.
- b. Employs various interview techniques to assess users’ information needs and assists patrons in the use and interpretation of the library’s resources, including over 150 online databases.
- c. Fulfills day, night, and weekend desk hours as scheduled during the nine-month academic year.
- d. Actively participates in reference team meetings. Actively engages in review of issues, best practices, and techniques related to the provision of reference service.
3. Other Duties As Assigned
4. Contributions to the College, Profession, and Professional Development. For example:
- a. Serves on library and college committees as assigned.
- b. Maintains membership and involvement with appropriate professional associations, such as ALA and SCELC.
- c. Contributes service to professional and/or college community endeavors.
Experience and Qualifications:EDUCATION: ALA-accredited MLS
1. Required: Master’s degree in library science from an ALA-accredited program or equivalent.
2. Required: Capacity to work flexible hours including some weekends and evenings.
3. Required: Demonstrated successful experience delivering quality instruction and reference service, preferably in a student-centered environment.
4. Required: Experience working with undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, and staff in a collegial environment.
5. Required: Experience working cooperatively, respectfully, and effectively in a culturally diverse community.
6. Required: Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
7. Required: Demonstrated successful planning and organizational skills. 8. Required: Demonstrated successful skills at working both independently and in a team environment.
Weekend/Evening Reference Service is rotated among professional Librarian staff. Travel for professional development activities
Depends on Qualifications
Please apply on-line at http://jobs.stmarys-ca.edu. 1) Include a cover letter that specifically addresses how you meet the qualifications and are prepared to support the mission of the College2) A resume3) The name and contact information for three (3) professional references. Candidates who become finalists will be expected to sign a consent authorizing a broader inquiry which may include reference checks, a motor vehicle check, and a third party background check.Saint Mary's is an equal employment opportunity employer. We support inclusive excellence and are committed to creating a safe and welcoming community for all.