Detailed Job Description
Under the direction of the Director of Admissions, Marketing, and Communications, the Temporary Campus Visit & Tour Guide Coordinator oversees the admissions campus visit experience and the social media response campaign. This position supervises a team of 15+ work-study students who staff the front desk, lead campus tours and information sessions, staff open houses, yield events, and Enrollment Prep events. The first impression the 4000+ prospective students and their families get of Berklee is largely a result of effective management of this fast-paced, high-volume operation, which extends well beyond the regular 9-5 schedule. This is a temporary position expected to last 5-7 months.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage team of 15+ Admissions Student Recruiters.
- Identify, hire, train and mentor student workers, including student supervisors with higher level of responsibility
- Develop and maintain a Tour Guide manual
- Develop and mentor Admissions Student Recruiters for more responsible roles that impact the campus visit experience.
- Troubleshoot problems and keep Admissions Student Recruiters updated on new processes and procedures that impact prospective students and families
- Train Admissions Student Recruiters in customer service best practices
- Ensure tour guide is on time for tours and info sessions. Contact a back-up tour guide if necessary. Coordinate release of tour groups and info sessions. Oversee reservations for Tours and Information Sessions. Schedule tour guide resources for the following kinds of activities:
- Campus Tours
- Information Sessions (On and Off campus)
- Front Desk Reception Coverage
- Admissions Auditions and Interviews Events
- Special Tour assignments, including group visits
- Off-campus Events
- Other duties as assigned.
- Social Media
- Manages work-study responses to questions on various social media platforms.
- Works with Communications and External Affairs departments to coordinate the posting of admissions related content to these platforms.
- Create dynamic student content for social media and web
- Manages budget for social media advertising in conjunction with External Affairs
- Coordinates targeted Social Media adverting that reflects the objective of Admissions recruitment
Reception Area and Maintenance:
- Staff the Admissions Reception desk. Train and assign Admissions Student Recruiter designate(s) to staff this role.
- Greet all Berklee Admissions visitors as their first point of contact.
- Oversee quality assurance of the Admission Phones lines
- Respond to all phone and in-person inquiries and questions. Direct to the appropriate staff member or office, regardless of whether it is admission related. Contact other campus department or staff persons on behalf of the visitor. Recommend Tour/Info Sessions as appropriate and suggest other activities that may improve a campus visit experience.
- Maintain awareness and keep track of admissions staff travel schedule, staff vacations, events meeting schedule and whereabouts of staff members.
- Receive and record Admissions document drop off and ensure they reach the appropriate person.
- Maintain overall awareness and general understanding of departments and resources within the college. Respond to questions about Berklee and the City of Boston.
- Use database to record all visitor data. Collect and resolve any basic information requests and verify any pre-existing data.
- Keep Admissions Reception area neat and visitor friendly. Ensure materials are well stocked and neatly on display. Replace outdated materials as needed. Communicate inventory needs in a timely manner to avoid shortfalls.
- Maintain video and technology equipment
- Act as primary scheduler for the Admissions Multi-Purpose Room
- Manage special on-campus admission events for prospective students, admitted students and their families.
- Create overall event schedule
- Plan and reserve campus facility space requirements
- Manage RSVP system
- Employ the assistance of other campus offices and staff persons
- Collect and analyze data to assess effectiveness of events
- Create staff assignments during events
Technical Skills and Other Responsibilities
- Responsible for inputting data on Admissions computer system in response to visitors, student or educator inquiries and materials requests. Complete data entry in an accurate and timely manner.
- Use of calendar program, email and phone system to effectively keep abreast of staff activities and communicate with them.
- Respect issues of privacy and confidentiality. Do not communicate inappropriate student information. Use of discretion in providing internal information (e.g. Staff schedules or Board of Admissions Practices.) If in doubt, refer inquiry to appropriate staff member.
This is a fast-paced, high-volume operation staffed largely by student workers with enormous responsibilities, who require regular oversight, ongoing coaching, and occasional advice with other aspects of their life.
SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS, PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS, ETC.
- Requires weekend and evening hours, sometimes on short notice.
- Proven track record of event management and customer service related skills.
- Ability to multi-task in a highly dynamic admissions environment.
- Must be creative, self-motivated and have the ability to work independently
- Strong leadership, administrative, and time management skills.
- Proven analytical abilities and sound judgment.
- Ability to train, supervise and coach student workers in dealing with the public
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and effectively when dealing with co-workers, Alumni, Tour Guide and Student Ambassadors, other college departments, etc.
- Budgetary management skills in regards to event planning and scheduling.
- Proven ability to work & lead effectively in a highly diverse campus community.
- Undergraduate degree required. Musical training and experience preferred.
- Knowledge of computer databases and standard software programs, including Microsoft Office and FileMaker Pro. Ability to learn new computer programs and easily adapt to both PC and Macintosh systems. Familiarity with Colleague preferred.
- Previous experience in college admissions operations (or similar field)
Berklee College of Music is committed to increasing the diversity of the college community and the curriculum. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths in this area.