Synopsis of Role:
The Specialist, Financial Aid Support Team assists students and team members in a variety of processes to include review of Federal Student Aid (FSA) applications, eligibility, supporting documentation, as well as processing of Title IV aid, alternative loan inquires, and research and reconciliation of various financial aid disbursements.
• Develops and maintains a base knowledge of FSA regulations, American Public University System (APUS) policies, and software/systems needed for processing.
• Reviews FSA eligibility based on Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), previous aid, and any or all pertinent items associated with eligibility.
• Reviews and processes documents and various forms of financial aid including federal financial aid (Title IV), alternative loans, and scholarships.
• Specializes in one or more of the following areas: application verification and processing, disbursement processing and reconciliation, financial aid packaging, and other various financial aid processes.
• Maintains communication with third parties regarding financial aid programs, policies, and packages.
• Performs research on approval status of all financial aid awards.
• Grants course access upon receipt of approved financial aid documentation.
• Provides suggestions of actions to manager and/or senior specialist on processes and issues.
• Assists with research and cleanup to include past due financial aid balances.
• Assists with graduation audits.
• Assists students, coworkers and other departments on telephone and email with financial aid questions.
• Interacts with other departments and third parties to achieve daily goals.
• Ensures compliance with the Sarbanes Oxley Act (SOX) and Department of Education guidelines in daily processing.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
• Standard office environment in Charles Town, WV.
• Occasional evening, weekend, or overtime hours needed.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to provide excellent customer service to a diverse population.
• Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as in a team environment.
• Ability to solve problems while handling sensitive, confidential information.
• Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• Two (2) years of experience in finance or accounting or one year of experience in a financial aid services position.
You were inactive for over twenty minutes. To protect you, we have logged you out. Any unsaved data has been lost.