Detailed Job Description
Under the broad supervision of the Associate Director of Recruitment, the Assistant Director of Admissions works independently and leads a regional team focusing on targeted enrollment objectives for the designated region. As a key member of the Board of Admissions, the Assistant Director plays a critical role in sustaining a healthy enrollment and generating sufficient revenue for the institution. This position requires expertise on all programs available to prospective students, including but not limited to Coursera, EdEx, Summer Programs, City Music, Berklee Online course offerings including online undergraduate degrees, undergraduate programs, study abroad programs, and masters programs. Provides counseling services to applicants and prospective students through on-campus and off-campus activities. Plays a critical role in identifying and selecting leading candidates for admission to Berklee in support of the college’s mission to recruit the best. Responsible for the implementation and maintenance of recruitment initiatives that support the Comprehensive Enrollment Strategy and are approved by the Dean. Assists in the implementation and management of special recruitment projects. Active participation in various college-sponsored events. Extensive travel required. Weekend and evening hours expected.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Preferred Office of Admissions representative for all recruitment travel related to the designated region.
- Responsible for producing the desired yield of regional admits to matriculants as articulated in the annual recruitment plans.
- Works closely with the other regional Assistant Directors and Advisors in support of recruitment initiatives at the college.
- Responsible for the effective management and oversight of a 5-6 person team for A&I and other recruitment travel/events. Teams consist of faculty, staff, alumni and student ambassadors. Responsible for effective budget management, travel arrangements, equipment rental, quality of the prospective student experience and overall successful execution of the event.
- Conducts one-on-one admissions interviews with applicants on and off-campus, evaluates their suitability and preparedness to study at Berklee, and issues recommendations for admission to the college accordingly.
- Responsible for planning and implementing recruitment activities within their designated region. Travels independently in support of high school, college, and education fair visits.
- Serves as liaison with the college community in the development of cross-divisional initiatives designed to increase the recruitment and retention of prospective students.
- Serves as liaison to external partnerships established to strengthen the college’s recruitment efforts, such as BIN and articulation schools. Proactively contributes to the ongoing development of relationships with music educators, counselors and performing arts high schools within the specified region that will yield high populations of talented prospects.
- Represents the college at various on and off-campus recruitment events and completes appropriate reports as needed.
- Works closely with alumni representatives and student ambassadors to coordinate effective communications and follow-up with prospective students. Participates in mentoring and training Alumni and Student Ambassadors for the admissions interview process.
- Serves as a member of the Board of Admissions reviewing completed applicant files to determine admissions eligibility.
- Counsels students and their families regarding admissions eligibility, application procedures for scholarships, general financial aid information, housing and other pertinent topics via phone, email and in-person contact. Maintains familiarity with application, scholarship, financial aid, housing and Board of Admission processes, including technology resources, processing policies and correspondence procedures.
- Serves as Counselor of the Day and conducts group information sessions as assigned.
- Serves on Admissions task forces and college committees as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS, PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS, ETC.
- Regular travel during six months of the year
- Occasional evening and weekend hours during busy times
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to engage with a diverse and global student population. A high degree of sensitivity to a wide variety of cultural norms is required.
- Ability to speak and understand languages other than English preferred.
- Three to five years experience in college admissions/recruitment, sales and customer service.
- Minimum of Bachelors degree required.
- Strong commitment to prospective student servicing.
- Specialized skills and experience in broad and Berklee-specific student experiences, Berklee programs and related career options, and all relevant trends and public policies affecting the student population at Berklee.
- Musical background, strong understanding of music business industry, and music theory knowledge.
- Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for career counseling and guidance.
- Knowledge of and ability to counsel various types of prospective students.
- Strong understanding and knowledge of educational challenges for the prospective students wishing to pursue a college level education in the US.
- Strong familiarity with current technologies such as MS Suite, Keynote, Filemaker, Salesforce, and social networking platforms.
Berklee College of Music is committed to increasing the diversity of the college community and the curriculum. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths in this area.