Detailed Job Description
Founded in 1863, Saint Mary's is a residential campus nestled 20 miles east of San Francisco in the picturesque Moraga Valley. Based in the Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions, Saint Mary's currently enrolls more than 4,000 students from diverse backgrounds in undergraduate and graduate programs. The De La Salle Christian Brothers, the largest teaching order of the Roman Catholic Church, guide the spiritual and academic character of the College.
As a comprehensive and independent institution, Saint Mary’s offers undergraduate and graduate programs integrating liberal and professional education. Saint Mary’s reputation for excellence, innovation and responsiveness in education stems from its vibrant heritage as a Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts institution. An outstanding, committed faculty and staff that value shared inquiry, integrative learning and student interaction bring these traditions to life in the 21st century. The College is committed to the educational benefits of diversity.
ResponsibilitiesThe Assistant Director of Athletics for Recreational Sports is responsible for leading, implementing, administering and evaluating a comprehensive Recreational Sports program for the College, including Intramural Leagues, Club Sports, Outdoor Adventures, Open Recreation, Fitness Services, and Special Events. This position is also responsible for leading, implementing, administering, and evaluating all operational elements of Recreational Sports including Student Leadership Development, Risk Management, Marketing, Travel, Event Management, Inventory Control, Recreation Facility Management, Data Acquisition & Analysis, and Recreation Technology. This person is also responsible for collaborating with other members of the College community in planning and executing College events, including Admission Events, Mission & Ministry Events, Athletic Camps, the Associated Students, and others as assigned. This position requires the use of independent judgment and discretion when carrying out job responsibilities and functions.
- Student Leadership Development: Recruit, hire, train, schedule, and evaluate students to work in the various programs and areas of Recreational Sports. Design and implement a comprehensive student leadership development program including an annual workshop series starting prior to the start of school, leadership team organization & meeting structure, program specific training, teambuilding, and campus collaborations as needed.
- Program Operations: Design and implement a comprehensive Recreational Sports Operations Program including scheduling, staffing, managing, risk management, policies & procedures, inventory control, finance, and assessing all existing and newly developed Recreational Sports Programs.
- External Relations: Design and implement a comprehensive Recreational Sports External Relations Program including marketing strategies, dynamic website management, advertising, promotional materials, use of social media, and community relations including parents, alumni, and prospective students.
- Compliance: Design and implement a comprehensive Recreational Sports Compliance Program including eligibility, participant welfare, program surveys, assessment, and league policies and procedures.
- Campus Collaboration: Participate as a team member in the identification and realization of goals directly related to the mission of Recreational Sports, Athletics, and the College.
- Know, recognize, and comply with the laws, policies, rules, and regulations governing the College and its employees, and the rules of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (including, but not limited to, NCAA Bylaw, Article 11 and its requirement to report all athletically-related income and benefits from sources outside of the College to the President) and of the West Coast Conference as now constituted or as may be amended in the future. Supervise and ensure that any assistants and any other employees and/or volunteers for whom you are administratively responsible comply with the aforesaid policies, rules and regulations. Immediately advise the Director of Athletics and Recreational Sports if you have reasonable cause to believe violations, whether by employees or students, have occurred or will occur.
Experience and Qualifications:Education:
Experience: Three to five years of leadership experience managing an Intramural Sports Program
- Bachelor's Degree Required
- Master's Degree Preferred
Skills/Abilities: Proficiency with word-processing, graphic design and database management software ie) Microsoft Word, Excel, Photoshop, In Design
Other Requirements: Yes; travel, weekend/evening work
Depends on Qualifications
Application Instructions: Please apply on-line at http://jobs.stmarys-ca.edu.1) Include a cover letter that specifically addresses how you meet the qualifications and are prepared to support the mission of the College2) A resume 3) The name and contact information for three (3) professional references. Candidates who become finalists will be expected to sign a consent authorizing a broader inquiry which may include reference checks, a motor vehicle check, and a third party background check.Saint Mary's is an equal employment opportunity employer. We support inclusive excellence and are committed to creating a safe and welcoming community for all.