Detailed Job Description
Description of the Position: This is a variable-time, term, non-tenure track appointment in the area of History and Social Science Education, with particular emphasis on a teaching methods course that prepares teacher candidates to develop, analyze, and critique assessments, instruction, and curriculum for the secondary History and Social Science classrooms. Students enrolled in this course are undergraduate preservice teachers. This position is contingent on available funding.
Responsibilities of the Position:
- Teach History and Social Science methods (of instruction and assessment) courses appropriate for teacher candidates seeking Illinois teacher licensure at the secondary level.
- Provide instruction that helps preservice teachers access and develop curriculum that utilizes resources available from the Teaching with Primary Sources project at the Library of Congress.
- Hold office hours for 3 hours per week during the semester on campus or virtually (i.e. email) during times agreed upon by the Teaching with Primary Sources Director at SIU Carbondale.
Requirements of Candidates:
- The rank of Instructor requires a Master's Degree. The rank of Lecturer requires a doctorate. Degrees should have emphasis in History and/or Social Science Education or Curriculum and Instruction.
- Persons who apply must demonstrate:
- A broad interdisciplinary background with a speciality in preservice History and Social Science methods courses.
- Successful teaching or work experience in the area of History and Social Science education, preferably at the middle or high school level.
- A sound philosophy and understanding of History and Social Science concepts and how to teach them to students at the secondary level and various stages of history or media literacy.
- Also desirable, but not required, are:
- Experience teaching Social Science or History methods courses at the undergraduate level.
- A solid background in advanced (i.e. graduate) coursework in History or the Social Sciences.
- A thorough understanding of the inquiry method of teaching and learning (e.g. historical thinking) with an equal grasp of various media and technologies to facilitate History and Social Science learning.
- Participation in past Library of Congress Teaching with Primary Sources professional development.
- Social Science teaching license with a History designation and have taught (or are currently teaching) History or the Social Sciences (e.g., Geography, Political Science) at the secondary level.
Appointment and Salary: This is a non-tenure-track appointment for Spring 2016 semester year. The successful candidate may be reappointed for future semesters contingent on programmatic needs, funding, and job performance.Effective Date of Employment:
January 01, 2016Application Instructions:
Use Institution Website
button to the right of this job description, then follow instructions on the jobpage at SIU-Carbondale's website.
SIU Carbondale is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans that strives to enhance its ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase its potential to serve a diverse student population. All applications are welcomed and encouraged and will receive consideration.