Detailed Job Description
ASSISTANT VICE PRESIDENT AND UNIVERSITY CONTROLLER
The University of Virginia seeks a progressive, forward thinker to serve as the Assistant Vice President and University Controller (Controller). The Controller leads a team of 23 professional and administrative staff, who are responsible external financial reporting, financial accounting, tax and operational contracts, and financial policies, procedures, and internal controls. Reporting to the Vice President for Finance, the Controller will develop and maintain strong working relationships and collaborative partnerships with the UVAFinance leadership team (procurement/ accounts payable, financial planning and analysis, research administration, student finance, financial outreach and compliance, financial data warehouse/business intelligence tool project team); the Chief Audit Executive, the University Treasurer and other administrators; and the financial leaders in each of the schools, the University of Virginia Medical Center, the University of Virginia’s College at Wise, and the University’s affiliated foundations.
The UVAFinance team has recently adopted a vision to become the valued and trusted financial partner that the University community turns to first. UVAFinance core values are to be (1) an impeccable source of information and (2) a collaborative partner; to provide (3) service excellence and (4) innovative action; and to lead (5) valued, high-performing teams. The Controller is integral to achieving this vision and meeting these values. He/she will build effective and collaborative relationships across the enterprise to optimize the University's decision-making capabilities and inspires the highest standards of financial performance. The Controller must be an exceptional communicator, able to actively listen, write effectively, and deliver clear and professional presentations to varied audiences.
Specifically, the Controller’s responsibilities will be to:
• Build, develop, motivate, and inspire a team that strives to reach University, UVAFinance, and individual goals. Recognize and value diversity in people and thought. Lead an engaged team and be an active and intentional manager of people, providing effective advice, coaching, and counsel in an environment of mutual respect and understanding. Create and maintain a culture of continuous change that is experimental in nature and open to calculated risks.
• Establish, document, monitor, and enforce a system of internal controls and accounting and financial related policies and procedures that have University-wide impact. Utilize appropriate systems, processes, and communication strategies to ensure a robust, comprehensive, and up-to-date approach to highly effective financial administration and regulatory compliance.
• Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings by understanding legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, providing advice on needed actions, and evaluating operational contracts.
• Provide professional accounting expertise as related to maintaining an effective chart of accounts; generally accepted accounting principles, accounting and reporting standards; and practices and techniques in accordance with higher education industry guidance.
• Prepare and issue accurate, complete, and timely interim and annual GASB financial statements for the consolidated University of Virginia, as well as stand-alone statements for the components.
• Oversee the annual audit of financial statements and internal controls by the Auditor of Public Accounts (APA) and coordinate the preparation of the printed and online annual financial report. Respond to audit inquiries from internal audit, the APA, the Office of the State Inspector General, and other state and federal auditors.
• Coordinate closely with other financial leaders (AVP for Financial, Planning & Analysis, Treasurer, and others) to provide senior management and school/unit financial leadership with access to accurate and timely information for strategic decision support, as well as delegated reporting needs and responsibilities. Support a framework – with tools, templates, technology, thoughtful standard operating procedures, available information, and facilitation – that enables school and unit financial leaders to manage their operations effectively.
• Serve as the data steward for financial information and represent financial interests in University conversations regarding administrative information technology (IT) systems. Strive to maximize technology to streamline and automate processes for data integrity, effectiveness, and efficiency.
• Oversee local IT support for the UVAFinance team located in Carruthers Hall, in a manner that leverages central IT services to support operations and employees with a secure and stable IT environment, timely and reliable desktop support, responsive employee IT onboarding, and training and implementation of new IT tools and techniques.
• Ensure compliance with required state interfaces, including daily interactions with the state accounting system, transmittal of financial information for the annual Consolidated Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR), and other ad hoc inquiries.
• Collaborate with other financial leaders to implement and maintain a set of financial benchmarks against which to measure the institution’s performance. Provides status of financial condition by collecting, interpreting, and reporting financial data.
• Ensure that accounts receivable are collected promptly and that Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards are met.
• Be a voice in the national conversation on financial and accounting policies and practices, with a deep desire to keep abreast of emerging trends and technologies; identify and implement best practices of top-performing organizations; develop and maintain professional relationships with counterparts at other peer institutions to exchange information.
• Prepare and present special reports for senior leadership and the Board of Visitors as needed.
The ideal candidate will be an accomplished leader with positive, sustained impact in complex environments, where collaboration and influence management were critical to success. It is preferred that candidates possess key qualifications and characteristics that include:
• Bachelor’s degree and active CPA license are required. Advanced degree in business, management, or related field preferred.
• Extensive experience, at least ten years, in financial accounting, reporting, and management; demonstrated understanding of generally accepted accounting principles and GASB and/or FASB financial standards.
• Highest standards of honesty and integrity.
• Strategic, yet policy-minded focus; proactive and innovative thinker
• Bias towards action, with a sense of urgency to make and implement timely decisions which appropriately balance risks and opportunities
• Demonstrated ability to engage stakeholders in planning and decision-making
• Excellent problem-solver with diplomacy and conflict-resolution skills
• Exceptional communications skills
• Experience building effective and collaborative relationships at all levels of an organization
How to apply: To express interest in this opportunity, please prepare and upload a cover letter stating your interest in the position, along with a CV and three references, to https://jobs.virginia.edu and search posting number 0618787. If nominating an individual for this opportunity, please include the nominee’s contact information and send electronically to Susan Talbert at email@example.com. The position will be carried out with full confidentiality; candidates will be notified before references are contacted.
The University of Virginia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.