Detailed Job Description
Founded in 1863, Saint Mary's is a residential campus nestled 20 miles east of San Francisco in the picturesque Moraga Valley. Based in the Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions, Saint Mary's currently enrolls more than 4,000 students from diverse backgrounds in undergraduate and graduate programs. The De La Salle Christian Brothers, the largest teaching order of the Roman Catholic Church, guide the spiritual and academic character of the College.
As a comprehensive and independent institution, Saint Mary’s offers undergraduate and graduate programs integrating liberal and professional education. Saint Mary’s reputation for excellence, innovation and responsiveness in education stems from its vibrant heritage as a Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts institution. An outstanding, committed faculty and staff that value shared inquiry, integrative learning and student interaction bring these traditions to life in the 21st century. The College is committed to the educational benefits of diversity.
The Coordinator of Student Leadership & Civic Engagement works with the Associate Director of CILSA to provide overall leadership, energy, and inspiration for co-curricular social action programs within CILSA, particularly the Bonner Leader program and group service projects.
1. Student Leadership Development Programs
* Lead and manage all aspects of the Bonner Leader Program and Summer Fellowship Programs
* Develop and implement intensive orientation, ongoing support, community nights, academic components (when appropriate), and training of student leaders in each program
* Develop and implement strategies for social justice and leadership formation in the Catholic and Lasallian traditions
* Collaborate with CILSA staff to create a student leadership model for students who work as employees and hold significant leadership roles within CILSA's programs. * For programs funded by external sources: meet programmatic and reporting guidelines (inc. AmeriCorps), participate in professional development and projects as needed.
* Provide day-to-day supervision and coaching (in the context of student leadership and development) to campus-based Bonner Leaders, Carnival 4 Kids co-chairs, LEO shuttle drivers, and communication/marketing leader.
* Support students in delivering direct service and social justice education opportunities including: LEO Shuttle, Saturdays of Service, Immersions.
* Guide students in creating and implementing assessment and evaluation of group service projects, student experiences, and community partnerships.
* Assist in coordination and supervision of the CILSA Information and Referral Center.
* In collaboration with Associate Director, supervise graduate student's 20 hours/week field work in assisting with campus bonner leaders.
3. Partnership Development
* Develop sustainable collaborations with local organizations to support high-quality service experiences in collaboration with CILSA staff.
* Assist in fostering relationships with the SMC Alumni Association and others as it relates to supporting programs.
4. Campus Wide
* Participate in campus conversations about Catholic, Lasallian, Liberal Arts traditions and how they relate to social justice themes.
* Coordinate (or assist in coordinating) campus-wide social justice speakers and educational events.
* Respond to opportunities for campus collaborations via committee work, cosponsored programs (e.g, FYE Committee), and teaching (e.g. .25 Leadership course).
* Develop intentional partnerships across campus that establish civic engagement and social justice as unifying themes for the undergraduate experience.
5. Business Functions
* Monitor budgets related to programs within this purview.
* Coordinate Financial Aid contracts for ~65 CILSA student employees.
* Manage payroll for ~14 direct student employees.
* Maintain federal AmeriCorps documents and electronic records.
* Participate in donor and foundation relations, as appropriate.
* Coordinates CILSA's web presence and social networking efforts.
* Represent SMC with regional and national conversations and conference planning team/s on educating for social justice in higher education (esp. Catholic higher education, and the Bay Area Service-Learning network).
* Participate in Bonner networks through national meetings and regional connections (e.g., Berkely Bonner Program).
* Attend related conferences (AACU, LSJI, Campus Compact, etc.)
* Engage in ongoing professional development to provide strong theory-to-practice models.
Experience and Qualifications:Required: BA/BS from accredited four year institution.and a MA/MS in education counseling or related field.
Experience: 3-5 years experience working in higher education service-learning or related experience working in non-profit, social service or similar settings. Bi-lingual: English/Spanish preferred.
Skills/Abilities: strong written and oral communication, experience with Windows office suite, website development, social media.
Required: Valid drivers license with ability to be insured by the College.
Other: This staff person works approximately one weekend day per month, and one night per week. This person also travels approximately twice per year for professional development and grant-related travel.
Depends on Qualifications
Application Instructions: Please apply on-line at http://jobs.stmarys-ca.edu.1) Include a cover letter that specifically addresses how you meet the qualifications and are prepared to support the mission of the College2) A resume 3) The name and contact information for three (3) professional references. Candidates who become finalists will be expected to sign a consent authorizing a broader inquiry which may include reference checks, a motor vehicle check, and a third party background check.Saint Mary's is an equal employment opportunity employer. We support inclusive excellence and are committed to creating a safe and welcoming community for all.