Unfortunately, this job is expired as of 8/27/2016.
To continue in your search through the appropriate job categories, click either Administrative Staff, Higher Education Executives, Faculty, Post-Doc and Graduate Assistants, . You can also utilize "guess-free" keyword search tools with up to eight pre-defined criteria. Search for and Apply to academic postings directly from the site. Post your background either confidentially or overtly. Stand out and be discovered!
Synopsis of Role:
The Assistant Controller oversees the general accounting team and monthly close process. This role prepares and reports financial statements conforming to principles of accounting and regulatory requirements for American Public University System (APUS).
• Reviews and completes work papers supporting the monthly close process, quarterly financial reviews, and annual audits.
• Performs analytical reviews of the monthly operating results to ensure accurate accounting records are maintained.
• Prepares monthly financial statements.
• Supervises various accounting teams including reviewing and approving time management, completing performance evaluations and offering professional development.
• Documents, reviews, and maintains adequate and effective internal controls.
• Prepares and maintains accurate accounting policies, standard operating procedures, and Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX) narratives.
• Performs financial analysis.
• Provides organization leadership with accurate, timely financial data for decision making, including monthly/quarterly, and annual reports that are distributed to senior leadership and the board of directors.
• Assists with preparation of the supporting information and analysis for 10-K and 10-Q forms for the United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
• Prepares financial statements and corresponding footnotes for annual General Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS) and Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (GAGAS) audits.
• Assists with the successful completion of the quarterly reviews and annual audits.
• Manages and organizes annual SOX project from internal audit narrative review to year end testing by external auditors by scheduling walkthroughs, requesting, collecting, and reviewing information provided and facilitating follow up requests.
• Manages the coordination of the financial audits including collecting and organizing related information and responding to auditor’s initial requests for additional information.
• Assists with annual budgeting process, quarterly forecasting process, and other analysis as needed.
• Suggests and implements process improvements as appropriate.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
• Standard office environment in Charles Town, WV.
• Working knowledge of general ledger accounting using current accounting software products, Microsoft Word, and Excel.
• Ability to communicate effectively with coworkers, internal and external customers.
• Excellent organizational and administrative skills and ability to work efficiently and accurately.
• Understanding of the confidentiality and ethical standards of a Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
• Ability to be conscientious about timeliness of assignments and quality of work product.
• Ability to be held accountable for specific performance.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks and maintain control and order over same.
• Excellent GAAP and financial reporting technical skills.
• Exceptional work ethic.
• Affinity for creative problem-solving.
• Ability to work independently, use initiative, and make substantive decisions quickly.
• Ability to work standard weekday business hours; ability to work extended hours as needed to meet deadlines and assist controller.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required; Master’s degree preferred.
• CPA certification required.
• Four or more (4+) years of experience working in an accounting/finance department in a management position required.
• Experience working for a public company required.
• Thorough understanding of SOX compliance required.
You were inactive for over twenty minutes. To protect you, we have logged you out. Any unsaved data has been lost.