Detailed Job Description
Founded in 1863, Saint Mary's is a residential campus nestled 20 miles east of San Francisco in the picturesque Moraga Valley. Based in the Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions, Saint Mary's currently enrolls more than 4,500 students from diverse backgrounds in undergraduate and graduate programs. The De La Salle Christian Brothers, the largest teaching order of the Roman Catholic Church, guide the spiritual and academic character of the College.
As a comprehensive and independent institution, Saint Mary’s offers undergraduate and graduate programs integrating liberal and professional education. Saint Mary’s reputation for excellence, innovation and responsiveness in education stems from its vibrant heritage as a Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts institution. An outstanding, committed faculty and staff that value shared inquiry, integrative learning and student interaction bring these traditions to life in the 21st century. The College is committed to the educational benefits of diversity.
- Saint Mary’s College invites applications for part-time supervising instructors to teach individual independent studies in various subjects for LEAP students in the Bay Area, Los Angeles and New Jersey and New York.
- LEAP (Liberal Education for Arts Professionals) is an internationally recognized Bachelor of Arts degree program specifically designed for current and former professional dancers.
- Traditionally, a dancer's rigorous training and the professional demands of a full-time dance career didn't allow for an academic education beyond secondary school.
- It was very difficult to prepare for the career transition that every dancer must face.
- Founded in 1999, LEAP makes it possible for these working adults to receive a comprehensive liberal arts education and earn a Bachelor of Arts degree from Saint Mary's College in three (3) to four (4) years of part-time study.
- LEAP class meetings are held in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Jersey City.
- Teach independent studies for LEAP students as needed.
- The successful candidate will have significant experience teaching the subject of choice.
- Work in a collaborative and culturally diverse campus community.
- The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to the mission of the College, which is informed, animated and expressed by its Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions.
- Applicants will be contacted by the LEAP Program only in the event opportunities to supervise an independent study in the instructor's area of expertise arise.
Experience and Qualifications:Candidates must possess an earned graduate degree in area of expertise along with demonstrated teaching effectiveness and a strong commitment to teaching adult undergraduate learners.
See Position Description
Application Instructions and Requested Documents: A complete application includes an on line cover letter (optional) and an on line current vitae. Candidates who become finalists will be expected to sign a consent authorizing a broader inquiry. Please also forward all application materials directly to: LEAP Program Saint Mary’s College of California PO Box 4700, Moraga, California 94575 Salary: $750 per one (1) independent study and is subject to the availability of funding sources.