Unfortunately, this job is expired as of 11/7/2016.
To continue in your search through the appropriate job categories, click either Administrative Staff, Higher Education Executives, Faculty, Post-Doc and Graduate Assistants, . You can also utilize "guess-free" keyword search tools with up to eight pre-defined criteria. Search for and Apply to academic postings directly from the site. Post your background either confidentially or overtly. Stand out and be discovered!
Since 1891, the University of La Verne has been dedicated to the belief that a quality, values-based education enriches the human condition by engendering service, scholarly accomplishment, and professionalism. For the past 124 years, La Verne has retained its sense of purpose, seeking to provide students with individual attention to spark personal growth through intellectual challenge and development. La Verne offers a distinctive and relevant educational experience to a diverse population of traditional-age, adult, and graduate learners preparing them for successful careers and a commitment to life-long learning across the liberal arts and professional programs, with a continual focus and emphasis on the University’s four core values of ethical reasoning, diversity and inclusivity, lifelong learning, and community and civic engagement.
This person will provide legal assistance to the university’s in-house General Counsel. This individual takes the lead in the Office of General Counsel in providing highly sensitive and confidential project management and administrative support. With a high degree of autonomy, the incumbent supports the legal service function by preparing, organizing and responding to a variety of legal documents, performing basic research, organizing files, maintaining databases, and managing the daily operations of the office. This position requires a significant degree of independent judgment and attention to detail, application of specialized knowledge acquired through education or experience, and the ability to use computer equipment and legal support applications. The incumbent must be familiar with legal office management and legal research, and willing to become familiar with university policies.
- Conducts research of law, university records and policies, and other relevant materials, and gathers information to reply to legal-related inquiries.
- Assists with factual investigations pertaining to matters affecting the university when requested, and organizes the data and evidence obtained in such investigations.
- Performs calendaring functions for hearings, trials, court appearances, discovery responses, depositions, and other court and administrative matters.
- Manages daily office operations for the Office of the General Counsel.
- Opens new matters, files and coordinates work flow.
- Manages calendar and travel arrangements for office staff.
- Supports General Counsel in the development, refinement and daily operations of case, contract and file management systems.
- Prepares and finalizes letters, reports, policies and other documents related to the functions of the office.
- Coordinates and assists in preparing responses to requests for document production in litigation, in response to subpoenas.
- Responds to inquiries from university departments and outside sources under general supervision of General Counsel.
- Prepares summaries of published cases and other materials upon request.
- Represents Office of the General Counsel which serves as Agent for Service of Process for the university.
- Other related duties as assigned
- Bachelors degree
- At least five years of experience in a law firm, university, or corporate law department as an officially designated legal assistant and/or paralegal
OR a combination of education and experience that demonstrates the applicant has acquired the knowledge and abilities listed for the position.
- Must be computer literate with proficient knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel and general office equipment
- Must posses excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced office managing and coordinating a multitude of tasks and duties; to prioritize and manage deadlines; and to complete projects in a professional and timely manner.
- Ability to prepare legal and non-legal documents related to legal services, organize files, and maintain databases and calendars.
- Working knowledge of court procedures, legal research and legal office management.
- Highly organized with a strong and proactive work ethic and logical problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to calmly assist/respond to irate individuals.
- Experience in higher education.
- Paralegal training.
- Thorough knowledge of principles and techniques of office management and organizational structure.
The hiring range for this position is dependent upon qualifications and departmental equity. Benefits of employment include a comprehensive health and welfare plan, tuition remission program for employee, spouse and dependent children and a generous 10% contribution to the University’s 403B retirement plan.
You were inactive for over twenty minutes. To protect you, we have logged you out. Any unsaved data has been lost.