Unfortunately, this job is expired as of 6/1/2016.
To continue in your search through the appropriate job categories, click either Administrative Staff, Higher Education Executives, Faculty, Post-Doc and Graduate Assistants, . You can also utilize "guess-free" keyword search tools with up to eight pre-defined criteria. Search for and Apply to academic postings directly from the site. Post your background either confidentially or overtly. Stand out and be discovered!
This position provides academic advising to STEM-H (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math, and Health Sciences) program participants at San Juan College.
San Juan College is committed to serving the needs of our students through a process of continuous quality improvement. We uphold and affirm the following iCARE values:
This position provides academic advising services to college students.
• Provides academic advisement, academic goal clarification, and career planning advising for new, returning, continuing, transfer and online students; helps students to identify appropriate educational and career opportunities and in establishing realistic and attainable academic and career goals.
• Monitors the academic progress of students; determines eligibility and satisfactory progress toward degree.
• Assists with new student orientation by providing academic advisement.
• Refers students to campus and community resources.
• Interprets and explains college policies and procedures.
• Executes electronic program evaluations for all degrees and certificates; reviews discrepancies and reports them to Registrar for adjustments.
• Develops, schedules and provides training for other advising staff.
• Researches advising models and techniques.
• Educates faculty and staff about advising services and issues.
• Researches and pilots programs for student advisement.
• Manages student advisor assignments; oversees the assignment of specialty program and core faculty advisors; processes mass advisor reassignments.
• Participates on campus advisory committees.
• Participates in state and national advising organizations.
• Performs related duties.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
• Knowledge of advising services principles and practices.
• Knowledge of college degree programs and graduation requirements.
• Knowledge of campus and community resources.
• Knowledge of developmental sequence and prerequisite coursework to advance students through their degree programs.
• Knowledge of college policies and procedures.
• Skill in the operation of computers and job related software programs.
• Skill in decision making and problem solving.
• Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public.
• Skill in oral and written communication.
• Skill in working effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
The Advising and Counseling Director assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act regulations and college and program policies and procedures. These guidelines require judgment, selection, and interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
• The work consists of varied academic advising duties. The unique needs of each student contribute to the complexity of the position.
• The purpose of this position is to provide academic advising services to students. Success in this position results in the efficient and effective provision of those services.
• Contacts are typically with co-workers, other college personnel, faculty, staff, students, and members of the general public.
• Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, to resolve problems, to provide services, or to motivate or influence persons.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
• The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table. The employee occasionally lifts light objects.
• The work is typically performed in an office.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
All applicants are subject to criminal background investigation prior to employment.
You were inactive for over twenty minutes. To protect you, we have logged you out. Any unsaved data has been lost.